Turn on thread page Beta

Ask Her Majesty's Government - Parliament XXVI.II watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Of course. We can start next week, if you want. We've got new creamy and rich chicken ones on the menu.
    Brilliant. I'm glad to hear the Liberal Party are using their donations properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Brilliant. I'm glad to hear the Liberal Party are using their donations properly.
    I'm using my own finances.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    First of all, I would like to congratulate the Right Honourable member PetrosAC for winning the Liberal leadership election and taking office as Prime Minister.

I have a question for the new Foreign Secretary:

Given that the United Kingdom's relations with Russia have deteriorated, does this government plan to improve such relations and if not, why?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EagleKingdom)
    First of all, I would like to congratulate the Right Honourable member PetrosAC for winning the Liberal leadership election and taking office as Prime Minister.

I have a question for the new Foreign Secretary:

Given that the United Kingdom's relations with Russia have deteriorated, does this government plan to improve such relations and if not, why?
    I believe that our relationship with Russia is an important one- but at the moment I do not think improving relations with the Russian state should be a priority- with the recent Salisbury tragedy, with continuous echoes of Russian cyber hacking, intense scrutiny is needed on Russian influence, with sanctions of all kinds needing to be considered. However, I think for example, that a total and complete degradation of relations is unnecessary at the current moment. For example, I believe that the England team should go to the world cup- a boycott would ultimately harm only ourselves.

To basically answer your question in a succinct manner- this government is here for three months. That, to me, does not strike me a suitable time period in which Russian relations can be improved. However, in the long term, a goal of the United Kingdom, in my opinion, should be to seek a resolution to present conflicts with Russia, achieved through various manners such as summits, and continued diplomatic engagement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    I believe that our relationship with Russia is an important one- but at the moment I do not think improving relations with the Russian state should be a priority- with the recent Salisbury tragedy, with continuous echoes of Russian cyber hacking, intense scrutiny is needed on Russian influence, with sanctions of all kinds needing to be considered. However, I think for example, that a total and complete degradation of relations is unnecessary at the current moment. For example, I believe that the England team should go to the world cup- a boycott would ultimately harm only ourselves.

To basically answer your question in a succinct manner- this government is here for three months. That, to me, does not strike me a suitable time period in which Russian relations can be improved. However, in the long term, a goal of the United Kingdom, in my opinion, should be to seek a resolution to present conflicts with Russia, achieved through various manners such as summits, and continued diplomatic engagement.
    Would my right honourable friend agree that there can be no let up in sanctions against the Russian state whilst they cause terror from Syria to Salisbury.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    Would my right honourable friend agree that there can be no let up in sanctions against the Russian state whilst they cause terror from Syria to Salisbury.
    Certainly. There is no possibility of any appeasement with the Russian state at the current moment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Of course there’s a need for a shadow cabinet; that’s the point of Labour being the official opposition, like in real life they need to offer an alternative vision to ours and have spokespeople representing that vision.
    That does not explain why there is a need to change the shadow cabinet
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Thank you for making my point for me regarding Boston - their CCTV was effective in small numbers as it was well placed.
    Pretty sure they’re well placed in the UK too. Well placed also doesn’t necessarily mean less CCTV. So since you’ve accepted it’s helped in Boston then perhaps you will come to a realisation that removing CCTV where you deem unnecessary is unjustified.

We're not talking about completely getting rid of all CCTV, but there are huge swathes of surveillance cameras that are completely unnecessary.
    This is not only vague but generalises all cases of why CCTV is placed in certain areas. Some areas do require lots of CCTV, some don’t - arbitrarily removing CCTV in places of high numbers is an ill-thought policy just to satisfy vacant ideology. Not pragmatic because when you’re doing that, people’s lives are at risk and there’s less evidence to collect for criminal cases.

As a Government, we'd rather spend our money on people that have the ability to stop crime, rather than some cameras that will only be necessary after a crime is committed. This Government is committed to preventing crime, not locking people up after the crime has been committed.
    False dilemma - why not both? You need evidence after a crime is committed to bring justice. Limiting that evidence means people are less likely to get justice after being a victim of a crime.

Am I reading this correctly... You’re not committed to locking people up in prisons when they commit a crime as the law requires?... God help us and this government.

Why is this government allowed anywhere near our justice system when it’s quite clear from the Prime Minister they’re unwilling to enforce the law when people commit crime??? Shameful! I’m not impressed.

You haven’t even answered my simple question, if public safety is important - it clearly isn’t since you choose not to enforce the law. Appalling response from the Prime Minister.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Pretty sure they’re well placed in the UK too. Well placed also doesn’t necessarily mean less CCTV. So since you’ve accepted it’s helped in Boston then perhaps you will come to a realisation that removing CCTV where you deem unnecessary is unjustified.

This is not only vague but generalises all cases of why CCTV is placed in certain areas. Some areas do require lots of CCTV, some don’t - arbitrarily removing CCTV in places of high numbers is an ill-thought policy just to satisfy vacant ideology. Not pragmatic because when you’re doing that, people’s lives are at risk and there’s less evidence to collect for criminal cases.

False dilemma - why not both? You need evidence after a crime is committed to bring justice. Limiting that evidence means people are less likely to get justice after being a victim of a crime.

Am I reading this correctly... You’re not committed to locking people up in prisons when they commit a crime as the law requires?... God help us and this government.

Why is this government allowed anywhere near our justice system when it’s quite clear from the Prime Minister they’re unwilling to enforce the law when people commit crime??? Shameful! I’m not impressed.

You haven’t even answered my simple question, if public safety is important - it clearly isn’t since you choose not to enforce the law. Appalling response from the Prime Minister.

Gotta love how you try to spin my comment - you should work on it. We would make rather prevent crime than have to lock people up after committing crimes. If there's less crime committed, there's less people locked up and that's good. Doesn't mean people that do commit crimes won't be locked up.

This debate doesn't seem to be getting anywhere, so perhaps we'll have to debate it again when my Government implements the policy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Gotta love how you try to spin my comment - you should work on it. We would make rather prevent crime than have to lock people up after committing crimes. If there's less crime committed, there's less people locked up and that's good. Doesn't mean people that do commit crimes won't be locked up.

This debate doesn't seem to be getting anywhere, so perhaps we'll have to debate it again when my Government implements the policy.
    I never tried to spin anything you said these exact words "this Government is committed to preventing crime, not locking people up after the crime has been committed" and to me it sounded like you don't care about enforcing the law, in other words, locking people up after a crime has been committed... If you didn't want me to "spin" it you should have reworded it before hitting submit.

Of course preventing crime is important, but so is enforcing the law and upholding our justice system.

No it's not getting anywhere because you cannot answer a simple question on public safety and instead go around the question. I'm still not convinced so if the government chooses to implement it I won't have good preconceptions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I accept that the fruits of investing in maglev technology will take decades to ripen, but I do truly believe it will increase productivity. We are committed to being a fiscally responsible government, so whilst we intend to invest in the right places, we will also have to look at cutting unnecessary spending as well as implementing policies that increase Government income (other than just simply raising existing taxation).
    Does the PM, or any of his ministers, have any credible evidence supporting the claim that Maglev would improve productivity, particularly beyond those who travel by rail for work?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I never tried to spin anything you said these exact words "this Government is committed to preventing crime, not locking people up after the crime has been committed" and to me it sounded like you don't care about enforcing the law, in other words, locking people up after a crime has been committed... If you didn't want me to "spin" it you should have reworded it before hitting submit.

Of course preventing crime is important, but so is enforcing the law and upholding our justice system.

No it's not getting anywhere because you cannot answer a simple question on public safety and instead go around the question. I'm still not convinced so if the government chooses to implement it I won't have good preconceptions.
    Apologies, I've realised how badly worded that line was and I have edited it in the original thread. I withdraw my remark.

We accept some CCTV has a place in protecting people, which is why we are not completely getting rid of all CCTV. We are simply committing to getting rid of anything that is genuinely unnecessary.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Does the PM, or any of his ministers, have any credible evidence supporting the claim that Maglev would improve productivity, particularly beyond those who travel by rail for work?
    We'll be going into this policy deeper later into the term where I will provide evidence, but surely it is only logical to conclude that increasing ease of travel between cities will boost productivity, at least somewhat?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Apologies, I've realised how badly worded that line was and I have edited it in the original thread. I withdraw my remark.

We accept some CCTV has a place in protecting people, which is why we are not completely getting rid of all CCTV. We are simply committing to getting rid of anything that is genuinely unnecessary.

We'll be going into this policy deeper later into the term where I will provide evidence, but surely it is only logical to conclude that increasing ease of travel between cities will boost productivity, at least somewhat?
    woudlnt it be cheaper to just leave the cameras there, until they 'run out' in terms of being able to monitor, as opposed to remove. though yes, specifically targeted cameras would be good
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tanqueray91)
    woudlnt it be cheaper to just leave the cameras there, until they 'run out' in terms of being able to monitor, as opposed to remove. though yes, specifically targeted cameras would be good
    That's something I'm happy to have a look at
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    That's something I'm happy to have a look at
    Please look then, and don't ask me for my source, the govt is elected to do a job - if bae Theresa asked boo Corbyn how to do something every five minutes, I'm fairly sure she'd have been out long before now.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Also, PetrosAC do you accept that CoffeeGeek was *not* spinning your comment?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Also, PetrosAC do you accept that CoffeeGeek was *not* spinning your comment?
    Yes. I withdrew the remark
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Yes. I withdrew the remark
    I just wasn't sure which remark you were withdrawing: the one about not being committed to locking up criminals, or the defamatory remark against CG.

I now assume both.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I just wasn't sure which remark you were withdrawing: the one about not being committed to locking up criminals, or the defamatory remark against CG.

I now assume both.
    You assume correctly
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    You assume correctly
    Glad that's cleared up then.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.