Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Yes. I withdrew the remark
    I just wasn't sure which remark you were withdrawing: the one about not being committed to locking up criminals, or the defamatory remark against CG.

I now assume both.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tanqueray91)
    I just wasn't sure which remark you were withdrawing: the one about not being committed to locking up criminals, or the defamatory remark against CG.

I now assume both.
    You assume correctly
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    You assume correctly
    Glad that's cleared up then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanqueray91)
    Please look then, and don't ask me for my source, the govt is elected to do a job - if bae Theresa asked boo Corbyn how to do something every five minutes, I'm fairly sure she'd have been out long before now.
    CG is Vince Cable in this analogy, not Corbyn.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Connor27)
    CG is Vince Cable in this analogy, not Corbyn.
    I wasn't making a comparison thanks. I can make my own decisions about what I say - all I said was my opinion about what would happen if T did that. Nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    You stated that CCTV will be removed from where it is unnecessary. In what areas is CCTV unnecessary?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EagleKingdom)
    You stated that CCTV will be removed from where it is unnecessary. In what areas is CCTV unnecessary?
    We will be assessing this before pushing to implement the policy
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We'll be going into this policy deeper later into the term where I will provide evidence, but surely it is only logical to conclude that increasing ease of travel between cities will boost productivity, at least somewhat?
    Logically the effect will be too small to even consider. You can split the population into three sections:
    1) Those that don't use the rail network for work at all, these will quite clearly be unaffected
    2) Those who use the rail network to get to work logically won't have an increased productivity either, why should they? A case could be made that the shorter rail journey means they can get up later, but then they're also more likely to overlap with the road traffic of group 1 compensating for this.
    3) Those who travel by rail as part of their job. This is the only section that will logically be more productive overall based on the assumption they are less productive when travelling. This is an incredibly small portion of the population
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We will be assessing this before pushing to implement the policy
    Will you be forcing the private sector to remove their CCTV cameras given almost every single CCTV camera in the country is operated by private entities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Will you be forcing the private sector to remove their CCTV cameras given almost every single CCTV camera in the country is operated by private entities?
    I concur with the right honourable gentleman and ask the Prime Minister whether he is truly concerned about the 70,255 cameras operated by public authorities compared to the millions operated by private entities?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Vitiate)
    I concur with the right honourable gentleman and ask the Prime Minister whether he is truly concerned about the 70,255 cameras operated by public authorities compared to the millions operated by private entities?
    There are probably a few more by now given it's a coming up on 5 year old source, but the point remains that it is barely 1% of the whole and the number of private CCTV cameras has historically risen far faster than private ones.

ReputationRep:
    There are probably a few more by now given it's a coming up on 5 year old source, but the point remains that it is barely 1% of the whole and the number of private CCTV cameras has historically risen far faster than private ones.
    Still, the fact remains. There are far more privately owned CCTV cameras than publicly owned.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I can confirm we aren't seeking to act against private sectors. The point still remains that councils, particularly in London, have more CCTV Cameras than is necessary though, and that is what we will be targeting.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I can confirm we aren't seeking to act against private sectors. The point still remains that councils, particularly in London, have more CCTV Cameras than is necessary though, and that is what we will be targeting.
    Even if every single public CCTV camera were in London (they aren't) there are still 200 people per person living in London (more when you switch it to people in London) and just shy of a fifth in the whole country are on the underground and as recently as last year helped apprehend terrorists, potentially even made it possible.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Prime Minister needs to become better informed. He clearly is not in possession of the facts. By removing a bunch of publicly owned CCTV (that CCTV only constituting little over 1% of the UK's total surveillance cameras), you're barely scratching the surface.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I think the Prime Minister needs to become better informed. He clearly is not in possession of the facts. By removing a bunch of publicly owned CCTV (that CCTV only constituting little over 1% of the UK's total surveillance cameras), you're barely scratching the surface.
    I seem to be repeating this stat a lot, but Wandsworth Council (which is just a borough in London) operate more CCTV cameras than Boston, Dublin and Johannesburg combined. I don't see reducing that amount as scratching the surface.

Even if every single public CCTV camera were in London (they aren't) there are still 200 people per person living in London (more when you switch it to people in London) and just shy of a fifth in the whole country are on the underground and as recently as last year helped apprehend terrorists, potentially even made it possible.
    I'm not sure what point you're making, mind rephrasing?

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be repeating this stat a lot, but Wandsworth Council (which is just a borough in London) operate more CCTV cameras than Boston, Dublin and Johannesburg combined. I don't see reducing that amount as scratching the surface.
    You seem to be reiterating over and over again that you have simply no idea. A policy belonging to a government that, along with its Prime Minister, simply has no clue.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    You seem to be reiterating over and over again that you have simply no idea. An policy belonging to a government that simply has no idea.
    > Makes the policy idea as clear as possible
    > Has no idea

Idk man, it's one thing to disagree with me, it's another thing to think I have no idea. I accept that it's a small amount of CCTV that's publicly operated, but it's still a big number (70,000 as you say) that can be reduced

ReputationRep:
    > Makes the policy idea as clear as possible
    > Has no idea

Idk man, it's one thing to disagree with me, it's another thing to think I have no idea. I accept that it's a small amount of CCTV that's publicly operated, but it's still a big number (70,000 as you say) that can be reduced
    Your Defence Secretary recently said that, that number is 70,000 more cameras than public authorities should have. Do you support his belief that police should have access to no security footage?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I'm not sure what point you're making, mind rephrasing?
    The number of public CCTV cameras is in the tens of thousands for the whole of the UK. Also the capture of Hassan after Parson Green was in all likelihood reliant on the CCTV on the tube network and as such without it odds are he wouldn't have been arrested in Dover, he would have left the country.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.