Turn on thread page Beta

My parents want me to be a doctor watch

ReputationRep:
    I've spent a lot of time considering this my end goal, because I was brought up with my parents telling anyone who asked I would become a doctor, a surgeon, specifically. I'm doing biology, chemistry and psychology, for my A-levels, and have been consistently getting ~90% on my tests. My biology teacher decided to give me a predicted B, because last year, the previous year 13s were over-predicted, so, despite the fact I earned an A, I wasn't given one to apply for university with.

Now that I have more time, I'm going to be taking a gap year, I'm seriously thinking about what I want to do in my life. I don't want to take away a possible job for someone else, who wants it more than I do. I'm sure I could read the material and regurgitate it, but, would I learn to like it, over time? I doubt it, and that lack of motivation is supposed to be the driving force. I just don't know what I want anymore, I don't want to disappoint my parents, but I also don't want to regret what I do for the rest of my life.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

So what do you want to be?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be something you don't want to be. Don't be forced into the profession if it's not what you want to do.
    Take the time off to think about yourself and what you truly like and enjoy. Find out about yourself-if you do want to potentially consider a medical career, maybe look at some hospital work experience. See if it is for you or not

ReputationRep:
    it's your life, not your parents'. if you are interested in a medical career, arrange some work experience and really see if you like it, otherwise a gap year eould be very beneficial in trying new things and exploring diffrrrnt career paths. I'd say go to any enrichment or careers event you can and talk to different professionals. Ultimately, if your heart's not in it, you're not going to succeed

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your parents, I am sure they will understand. I was in the opposite situation. My family didn’t want me to become a doctor. It takes a lot to persuade them but you have to consider their point of view. Ask them why they want you to become a doctor and tackle it point by point. For example, they may want you to become a doctor as it is a good salary. Tell them, you can earn a good salary in the field that you want to go into as you will have a bigger drive to succeed in that field. Good Luck! Don’t go into something that you would not be happy in. Go into a field where you will be happy to wake up at 4am to revise/go to work/etc. Wishing you all the best in your future!

ReputationRep:
    Only do the things that you want to do.

Ignore parents, do whatever you want, whenever you want. As long as you're not breaking the law **** what anyone thinks or says, do whatever you want at all times. You are a ****ing adult and this is the point where you can begin awaring your parents that they no longer have any control over you at all.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.