Turn on thread page Beta

Is anyone else in the Straight-closet to their parents? I'm ashamed of liking girls watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    I smile.
    I might smile once I get past the vinegar strokes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I might smile once I get past the vinegar strokes.
    Words cannot hurt you, my friend.

It is so absurd I can't help but find it funny. The more irate they are, the funnier it becomes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    Am I the only person who is in the straight closet with their parents?

I'm ashamed of my parents knowing I'm a sexual being. But I'm also ashamed to admit when I'm wrong, like from when I used to say "yuck" to girls as a 5 year old, to now when I like girls.

So I can't admit to my parents that I am straight, I put on a totally asexual front with them. Is anyone else in this position?
    So, your sexuality isn't the issue - It's the fact that you HAVE a sexual part of you?

Straight closet isn't a thing. Not wanting to delve into the topic of sex with your parents, is.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Words cannot hurt you, my friend.

It is so absurd I can't help but find it funny. The more irate they are, the funnier it becomes.
    Always. Kicking off and spraying bile while I'm sat off in me bills pissing meself at them :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    Me a Snowflake?? :rofl:

Well yeah that can be true, youre right, but comparing it to being 'ashamed to be straight' is frankly ridiculous.
    You have literally stated that my use of the term 'closet' is insensitive to gay people facing discrimination, when it's a common phrase to use in jest when talking about hiding something

and moreover, as I was talking about hiding my sexuality from my parents, 'closet' is a perfectly reasonable choice of word. yet for you, my mere muttering of this word has shown insensitivity towards those fleeing oppression and persecution...and you're trying to tell me you're not the textbook-definition of a Snowflake?!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You have literally stated that my use of the term 'closet' is insensitive to gay people facing discrimination, when it's a common phrase to use in jest when talking about hiding something

and moreover, as I was talking about hiding my sexuality from my parents, 'closet' is a perfectly reasonable choice of word. yet for you, my mere muttering of this word has shown insensitivity towards those fleeing oppression and persecution...and you're trying to tell me you're not the textbook-definition of a Snowflake?!
    Im quite far from your typical ‘snowflake’.

My feelings arent hurt. I just think its pathetic to say your in a Straight ‘closest’ and why would you need to hide the fact you are straight anyway???

ReputationRep:
    Im quite far from your typical ‘snowflake’.

My feelings arent hurt. I just think its pathetic to say your in a Straight ‘closest’ and why would you need to hide the fact you are straight anyway???
    "and why would you need to hide the fact you are straight anyway???"

why is the precise point of this thread!!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    "and why would you need to hide the fact you are straight anyway???"

why is the precise point of this thread!!!!
    You havent actually said why though

ReputationRep:
    You havent actually said why though
    1) by admitting I like girls to my family means admitting I was wrong all those years ago when i said "yuck" to girls as a 5 year old

2) by admitting I like girls to my family means admitting I have sexual thoughts which i fear would be considered a "dirty mind" by my family,

it'd be almost like your mum walking in on you masturbating but just in terms of thoughts. am I really alone on this?!

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be some toxicity in this thread, primarily over the use of 'closet', but looking past that I relate very much. I think my parents know I'm straight (they'd probably disown me if I wasn't, honestly, but I am so that's not really the issue.) Maybe this comes down to having never had school 'girlfriends' or shown any interest in relationships at a young age, while my younger brother seemed to have a new one every week. This, combined with not really developing 'crushes' until probably a little later than normal and never being in a relationship a little later into teenagehood, has created (a knowingly very stupid) block for me to ever talk about relationships with them. It may also be rooted in younger siblings' 'relationships' and me thinking my parents are likely to compare theirs to what I may have, as in not taking it seriously.

Anyway, while your wording may not have been the most delicate, I do know where you're coming from. A lot of people are saying to 'grow up', but I know too well that some parents are just not really open to having discussions about that sort of thing with their kids.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    1) by admitting I like girls to my family means admitting I was wrong all those years ago when i said "yuck" to girls as a 5 year old

2) by admitting I like girls to my family means admitting I have sexual thoughts which i fear would be considered a "dirty mind" by my family,

it'd be almost like your mum walking in on you masturbating but just in terms of thoughts. am I really alone on this?!
    I think most boys of 5 say ‘yuck’ to girls tbh

You dont have to ‘admit’ to liking girls. Its the societal norm.

It really isnt like that but hey ho and youre in the minority, yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bingoringo)
    There seems to be some toxicity in this thread, primarily over the use of 'closet', but looking past that I relate very much. I think my parents know I'm straight (they'd probably disown me if I wasn't, honestly, but I am so that's not really the issue.) Maybe this comes down to having never had school 'girlfriends' or shown any interest in relationships at a young age, while my younger brother seemed to have a new one every week. This, combined with not really developing 'crushes' until probably a little later than normal and never being in a relationship a little later into teenagehood, has created (a knowingly very stupid) block for me to ever talk about relationships with them. It may also be rooted in younger siblings' 'relationships' and me thinking my parents are likely to compare theirs to what I may have, as in not taking it seriously.

Anyway, while your wording may not have been the most delicate, I do know where you're coming from. A lot of people are saying to 'grow up', but I know too well that some parents are just not really open to having discussions about that sort of thing with their kids.
    I empathise with a lot of what you say!

Except the last line: "I know too well that some parents are just not really open to having discussions about that sort of thing with their kids."

my mum would L.O.V.E. for me to bring back a girl lol

ReputationRep:
    I meant like in general i'm always ashamed to admit i'm wrong. for instance I am ashamed to admit I was wrong about a political issue that I had an opinion on.

Most 5 year old boys say "yuck!" to girls. and when i became interested in them i was ashamed to admit that I had changed my mind and started to like them.

and as part of the 'innocent' image that surely everyone puts on infront of their parents, i took it to the extreme of not even wanting to admit i liked girls for that reason too, because if i did then, by extension, my parents would think i had a dirty mind etc. (only as far as is normal)
    So do they think you’re gay? You’re saying they don’t know you’re attracted to girls so they’ve assumed you like boys and now you don’t know how to tell them you’re actually now straight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    So do they think you’re gay? You’re saying they don’t know you’re attracted to girls so they’ve assumed you like boys and now you don’t know how to tell them you’re actually now straight?
    indeed, i think my dad does worry i am gay... i actually don't know what they think tbh i try to block out the thought

ReputationRep:
    Arrange for him to walk in on you ploughing a bird.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell? What happeded? Where am I?

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I don't think you're that different to most people. When we get into our teenage years we start developing a sexual interest in boys/girls. Hormones spike, you discover your sexuality. Nothing to be ashamed of...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    not explicitly discussing about your sex life with your parents isn't being "in the closet" it's just western culture

geez, cishets wanna be oppressed so bad...

ReputationRep:
    I think this is pretty common for people who aren't socially or sexually successful. I feel like a creep for having sexual desires - a kissless virgin manchild like me has no right to have sexual urges or desires. My mam keeps saying I'll find a girl eventually and I'm trying to convince her I'm asexual because I just want her to accept that I never will.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Unless you have said otherwise I'm sure your parents will likely think you are straight.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.