Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty confident Edinburgh will be my firm but idk what to do about accommodation...

Until now I was pretty set on the idea of self-catered as I was confident I could budget my meals and find cheaper living options out of the student accommodation offered, but I'm worried about the more social aspects I might be missing out on in Pollock (which is catered) as whathas has been described as a 'student village' sounds kinda nice and a great environment to make friends.

I'm worried maybe -- as responsible as I think I am -- maybe I wouldn't make the best decisions health-wise when I go to uni. I feel as though having that responsibility of paying that bit extra in advance for (what I have been told is) decent food would help me stray from picking unhealthy options and snacking.

I've been told the meal times aren't as stringent as they appear as they they'll give you a 'packed' dinner option if you have extra-curriculars that clash or anything like that. I'm told they've got a later 'Brunch' on the weekends for inevitable sleeping in.

Any perspectives of some current students or offer-holders/ applicants would be greatly appreciated!

P.S: To any current students: Baird, Turner and Ewing all have the same price. I had a quick skim over their info page and I don't see any real difference between them -- is there anything that's particularly appealing or unappealing between the 3 of them?
    Also, is there any reason why Lee House is £27 cheaper than the three previously mentioned haha?

ReputationRep:
    Blue_Cow any opinions on this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by thewrongofsummer)
    Blue_Cow any opinions on this?
    Thanks for the tag

I don't live in Pollock so I don't have any direct experiences with the food or meal times. I've not heard great things about their food, but that's probably to be expected of a university hall.

You won't miss out on too much of the 'social aspect' of university (if at all) because there are so many societies and the opportunity to meet people in lectures etc. I don't know many people who have actually made good friends with people at their accommodation, as in, friends who they would contact on a regular basis even when they move out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Thanks for the tag

I don't live in Pollock so I don't have any direct experiences with the food or meal times. I've not heard great things about their food, but that's probably to be expected of a university hall.

You won't miss out on too much of the 'social aspect' of university (if at all) because there are so many societies and the opportunity to meet people in lectures etc. I don't know many people who have actually made good friends with people at their accommodation, as in, friends who they would contact on a regular basis even when they move out.
    Is there anywhere in the university accomodation you think of as particularly good -- not as in fancy, but worth the money and decent.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.