Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    I've just firmed Portsmouth uni and I know from others they have a quiet option when applying for halls. I'm tempted to apply because I'm not the biggest drinker and I like having 'early' nights (like 11 ish) and I don't want to be kept awake. However I do drink every now and then and I do like going out and socialising. If I apply for a quiet option will this affect what accommodation I get? (Cathrine and Greetham are my top two choices) and would you recommend going for quiet or not?

    Thank you

    It is still possible to have early nights and not drink much in normal halls. Quiet accommodation can be very isolating as you're with people who aren't as social and spend most of their time in their room. If you want more opportunities to socialise and have fun then I would recommend normal halls. There were a number of people in my block who didn't go clubbing or drinking much but they were still able to integrate with the rest of us. Some of my friends in quiet halls hated it and ended up moving into their bf's/gf's flats.
    Do buy some ear plugs though.

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.