Turn on thread page Beta

How do i deposit a cheque into my bank account? watch

ReputationRep:
    I received a tax refund cheque from HMRC and I have never deposited a cheque before.

I tried searching on google but couldn't find an exact answer. If anyone knows specifically for halifax bank that would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by e^x)
    I received a tax refund cheque from HMRC and I have never deposited a cheque before.

I tried searching on google but couldn't find an exact answer. If anyone knows specifically for halifax bank that would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Go into a local branch and you can either pay it in over the counter or there ll be machines you can use.

ReputationRep:
    You go to the bank and say 'I'd like to pay this in please' or use on the machines.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by e^x)

Thanks.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Cash-a-Cheque

ReputationRep:
    Serious question OP

How old are you?

because anyone over 10 should know this.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    Serious question OP

How old are you?

22 and not embarrassed
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's machines you use, normally with a sign above "cash and cheque deposits". You put your cheque in and it reads how much, you press some buttons and it deposits it in your bank. Or just ask someone at the counter. I only deposited my first cheque last year when I was 18, cheques aren't used much nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    There's machines you use, normally with a sign above "cash and cheque deposits". You put your cheque in and it reads how much, you press some buttons and it deposits it in your bank. Or just ask someone at the counter. I only deposited my first cheque last year when I was 18, cheques aren't used much nowadays.
    Thanks, if you use the machines, you need your bank card and if you ask someone you just need your account number and sort code?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by e^x)
    Thanks, if you use the machines, you need your bank card and if you ask someone you just need your account number and sort code?
    Just bring your bank card for either one, it makes it easier.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by e^x)

Thanks.
    You login to your online bank account, and then feed the cheque into your CD slot (or retractable cupholder as some people call it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    Serious question OP

How old are you?

I’m 21 and paid in my first cheque a few weeks ago. Cheques aren’t all that commonplace any more; I don’t even have a chequebook!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    I’m 21 and paid in my first cheque a few weeks ago. Cheques aren’t all that commonplace any more; I don’t even have a chequebook!
    Indeed. I can't remember the last time I used a cheque. I don't have a chequebook either.

ReputationRep:
    Go into bank. Hand over cheque and bank card. And *POOF* the money is in the account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frances98)
    Go into bank. Hand over cheque and bank card. And *POOF* the money is in the account
    Err, no. You still need to wait a few days for the cheque to clear.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by martin7)
    Err, no. You still need to wait a few days for the cheque to clear.
    You will usually see the money in the account immediately, but yes you won't be able to draw against it until it's cleared.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e^x)

Thanks.
    Jeez 21st century problems - now I feel old!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    You login to your online bank account, and then feed the cheque into your CD slot (or retractable cupholder as some people call it).
    ... and if you stick your Cheque Guarantee Card in the slot, you can even pay for online goods using your own personal cheques :ahee:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Cheque Guarantee Card
    A what? Yeah, I've never had one of them.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.