Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Laptop/iPad advice for Law students watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I’m beginning a Law course at uni soon. Please can someone advise on the recommended/popular laptops /tablets to take to lectures. Does everyone really have a MacBook?

Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Yoshi123456)
    Hi

I’m beginning a Law course at uni soon. Please can someone advise on the recommended/popular laptops /tablets to take to lectures. Does everyone really have a MacBook?

Thanks
    No. Not everyone has a Macbook. They're completely unnecessary and for me, the keyboard feels horrible for long durations of typing.

I'll move this over to the Laptops subforum. Do you plan to do gaming/other non-office based tasks?

ReputationRep:
    For work mostly. Very little gaming. Maybe watching films etc.

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi

Thanks
    Depends on you and how you work.

Light and small would be a target although the biggest thing is to determine your budget. Not everyone has a mac and nor do you need one.

Wait as long as possible as prices are always coming down or specs up.
    et what you can afford and meets your needs.
    I would say make sure your pc has at least a 250gb SSD and a keyboard you like typing on.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks
    I have a Macbook Air, very good for what I want it to do. I got it on the cheap as an American Soldier was selling it here for what it would go for in America - - $500 or something so I bought in the pound equilavant haha But, you don't need one, just get any decent budget laptop, noone needs a flashy laptop to study lol Also use a Samsung S2 Tablet which decently price and thats sooo good!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your comments. I will keep researching based on your advice.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your comments. I will keep researching based on your advice.
    What's your ideal and maximum budgets?

ReputationRep:
    Say £500-800. Could be more though. Quite flexible. Want to get something that I will be happy with and that will last.

ReputationRep:
    Say £500-800. Could be more though. Quite flexible. Want to get something that I will be happy with and that will last.
    Well for £500 you could get a perfectly decent 15" laptop with a Core i5 that will happily do the basic tasks you want it for now, for the duration of your course. For closer to £800 you could go one of two ways- get something slimmer and lighter that's easier to carry around with you with perks like sharper displays and all-SSD storage, or something with more power that gives you the option to game on it if you decided you wanted to in future.

For £500 this Dell is an excellent deal, with a new 8th gen i5 processor where most laptops are only running dual core 6th/7th gen models, a 1080p display for video watching, and even comes with an entry level GPU that will handle older AAA games at low settings. If you wanted to go down the thin & light route, this 13.3" Asus model weighs a paltry 1.2kg, has an excellent high res screen for movies, and comes with a solid chunk of solid state storage. Finally if you wanted something with more graphics headroom, this Asus laptop has a solid GTX 1050 graphics card paired with a fully clocked Core i5 (most cheaper laptops use underclocked "U" models to better conserve battery life) and a combination of both SSD storage for rapid boot times and a large HDD for mass storage.

ReputationRep:
    GOFRE

Many thanks. This is all very useful. I will google your suggestions and make a decision. Many thanks once again.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, i'm still at school and my mum agreed to get me an iPad pro with a keyboard and apple pencil and I think that's quite good for things and you can also get Word and stuff like that on it but in perspective of a student I think a laptop would be better, I would say MacBook, but they are VERY pricey and I do not know much about laptops. Are you going to get a PC to work on as well as a laptop?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks
    You go Girl be a strong independent lawyer and revise and conquer!!! Theology is key!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.