Turn on thread page Beta

Depression and unsure about Uni and future. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm 28 year old female and I've been on & off of community college for the last 5-7 years (I went when I was 20, but that's when my depression really started, so I took a break, went back, then left again, now I'm determined to finish CC and transfer to a uni). Thing is, I felt kind of pathetic, I'm 28, never had a job (my depression,OCD and anxiety was really severe for the longest time), had a hard time keeping friends, never been in a relationship (my own choice, wanted to focus on school and getting better, and can put somebody ahead of myself) now I've found therapy and medication that has really helped, but I feel like I'm too old to go to uni, I overthink that I'm not going to make friends because of my age or meet others (maybe a boyfriend one day) because I've never had a job. I'm even buying books on how to get better in maths and science to try and well, get better. I'm working on myself, but I still feel like I'm going nowhere, and just indifferent to things still.

I've finally found something I'm at least somewhat interested in now (psychology), but when trying to find a uni, I've looked online and I've picked out major/minors that looked interesting so I could mix with Psychology, but as far as any uni speaking to me, I just don't feel it. I know I need to visit them, but I don't know if I'm even doing the right thing when looking for one.

I don't even know what I want to do, I love animals, reading, music and (I'm starting to really enjoy) psychology (learning how the mind/others work, think, . I know that I don't want to be a therapist, or psychologist, because I'm not sure I could handle listening to others problems 24/7, it really drains me emotionally. I just sometimes don't know what to do. I'm not sure if I'm looking for advice or just somewhere to rant, so I apologize, I just feel lost about uni and the future.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling lost is understandable. You have obviously been through a lot.

I would like to reinforce the fact that university does not have an age limit. In my class at university you would find 18 to 60 year olds. All interacting.

It is good and productive you are working on yourself (study, books, therapy, medicine), university is a good focus. Maybe use that as your point of focus?

Psychology is a good degree to have, clinical, teaching, law enforcement. Maybe a child therapist?! You will have a better understanding once you learn what you enjoy within the subject and specialize.

All the other things you enjoy can be a hobby!

You're still young, you have time to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. It is better to have spent this time working on yourself than 30 years down the line after suppressing everything.

I would recommend getting a part time or weekend job, gives you a little purpose and disposable income. Maybe volunteer at your local animal shelter?

Try mindful meditation or the 'Headspace' app.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.