Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what is it meant by this question 'how the writer has created these thoughts and feelings'? What are you supposed to include in the answer etc?

ReputationRep:
    How many marks is it? What exam board?

Since they're referring to how, I imagine that they want you to refer to the techniques the writer uses in order to create the atmosphere described in the question, like similes, metaphors, semantic fields, adjectives, adverbs, etc etc.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchm_)
    How many marks is it? What exam board?

Since they're referring to how, I imagine that they want you to refer to the techniques the writer uses in order to create the atmosphere described in the question, like similes, metaphors, semantic fields, adjectives, adverbs, etc etc.
    It's Eduqas and it is 10 marks question.

ReputationRep:
    Also, how to answer such questions to prevent stealing the time for answering other questions?

ReputationRep:
    The standard way of answering that question I feel is to reference and explain key terminology (like verbs, alliteration etc), then to mention the effect of these techniques have on the text and the audience. For my GCSEs, I was also advised to link this to any relevant context. I would also recommend talking to your teacher and asking if they can give you the mark scheme for that particular question, or looking for them yourself on the exam board's website. The mark scheme should give you specifics in what things you should include to get marks.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gandalfhan)
    Also, how to answer such questions to prevent stealing the time for answering other questions?
    Never heard of Eduqas, but I can answer this:

Take the amount of marks in the paper and take the amount of time you get and divise how many marks you need per minute. For example, 60 marks and 60 minutes is one mark a minute, 90 marks and 60 minutes is one and a half marks a minute - you get the idea.

Then work out how long you should spend on each question. For longer questions with more marks, set aside some time to plan your answer as well. Once you get good at answering these shorter questions and you become faster, you will find time to make good plans for the longer, more important questions as well.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.