Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I were to sit and pass my GCSE math, would A Level math be required if I want to work in a scientific field? How far am I meant to go with it to continue to persue science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minicouper)
    If I were to sit and pass my GCSE math, would A Level math be required if I want to work in a scientific field? How far am I meant to go with it to continue to persue science?
    It depends what sort of Science you want to pursue. Maths A level is almost always required for Engineering degrees but a GCSE at Grade 4 may be sufficient for - say - Botany.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to say these days most scientific fields are very data driven, and maths is a big component. It used to be the case that less maths was required, but now it's pretty vital in most areas of science. It would depend how far you would want to progress, but at university level you'd definitely be continuing to learn maths, and a lot of courses would want a maths AS Level as a minimum.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Biology :>

Jokes aside, in all fields (including biology) as above science is to at least some extent quantitative in that the fundamental scientific process involves collecting and interpreting data. You need to at least be able to interpret statistical data and graphs. However you won't necessarily need maths to A-level standard, although it certainly helps and depending on the course you may end up covering similar content in the degree itself anyway.

The general advice usually offered universities etc is if you're interested in science it's best to do as much maths as possible - you can never do too much maths as a scientist, no matter what your field. If it is clearly untenable then don't tank your grades to try and fit it in, but be aware of how it will limit your options.

As far as undergraduate degrees go, few bioscience courses require A-level Maths, and many Earth/Environmental Science courses don't require it. Some Chemistry courses also don't require it - however for these, you will usually cover similar material in the course of the degree (you are also quite likely to cover this in many Earth Science courses if not offered at A-level, and in some Bioscience degrees).

Generally the more "physical" the degree leans, the more likely you'll need to, at some point, learn Maths to A-level standard (specifically, calculus). Certainly anything in the realm of Physics and Engineering (including Materials Science and Computer Science) will almost certainly require it, or will teach it to you and expect you to be able to cope with that. Additionally, the "higher" you go in academia (masters, PhD, postdoc, working as a research academic) the more likely you are to need it (or at least have an understanding of it) as well.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.