Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My dad wants a laptop. He will only use it for general things like hotmail, YouTube. He wants word but I can only find laptops that now have one year subscription and you then have to buy word again every year. Could anyone suggest one?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What sort of budget? Don't buy a laptop that comes with Office, buy it separately as you would any other software. You can buy one off licenses rather than paying a yearly fee, or you can get one of the free alternatives (OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Google Docs, Office online, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    £300

ReputationRep:
    Office requires a yearly subscription now.
    If you want more tailored advice go into a shop such as PC world and ask and then take the information and suggestions you get and go research. Not expect a magical answer from here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Does it have to run Windows? This is one of the few cases where a Chromebook might be preferable and instead of Office just use Google Docs.

If you want something Windows based, anything along these lines is basically what you are looking at. You might save £30 by dropping down to a Celeron processor but at this price point, they're all basically the same specs. None of them are ideal but they'll get the job done. Just about. That said, if you also need to get the Office license included and want to buy it direct from Microsoft you'll not find anything in that budget unless you buy used. If you're willing to buy Office from eBay and spend £5 instead of £120 of course you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Do this - a fiver on ebay for word is money well spent

ReputationRep:
    You should invest in word and a good antivirus.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rarest)
    You should invest in word and a good antivirus. By "invest" I mean pirate.
    Not appropriate as TSR does not condone breaking the law.

Name:  received_1333127476764671.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  15.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    Open hotmail (sign up) and open word there. Then save that "bookmark" or "link" as word on desktop or taskbar and tell your dad that its word

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Not appropriate as TSR does not condone breaking the law.

Name:  received_1333127476764671.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  15.9 KB
    Yo, awesome meme! Made me chuckle.

Dw, as Albert Einstein used to say, its not breaking the law if no one finds out. Wink wink wink.

ReputationRep:
    Hp laptop is recommended by me as my often forgot password for her laptop, and sometimes he is curious to do something on his laptop ,these are all potential problems for us , But HP laptops have plenty of tips to help us solve these problems , and now my dad is using the Hp laptop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarest)
    Yo, awesome meme! Made me chuckle.

Dw, as Albert Einstein used to say, its not breaking the law if no one finds out. Wink wink wink.
    NGL, if there was any program not to torrent I would say anti virus programs would be one.
    1 you'll need updates from their official servers to keep the program up to date and hopefully effective.
    2 enjoy doing that manually
    3 opera has a free vpn, reroutes through russia for me but either way theres a free no hassle one if you go through pirate bay

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.