Turn on thread page Beta

Horror is an empty genre? watch

ReputationRep:
    So my uni English lit tutor really irked me the other day in a seminar when he said horror is an empty genre incapable of causing the audience to reflect deeply on anything or stir any deep emotion in the audience... This is bullsh*t, for me, horror is one of the most revealing and explorative genres of film and literature, films that jump to mind immediately are The Shining and Under the Skin...Thoughts?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by solw)
    So my uni English lit tutor really irked me the other day in a seminar when he said horror is an empty genre incapable of causing the audience to reflect deeply on anything or stir any deep emotion in the audience... This is bullsh*t, for me, horror is one of the most revealing and explorative genres of film and literature, films that jump to mind immediately are The Shining and Under the Skin...Thoughts?

Did you challenge him? Pehaps he was just trying to provoke you?

ReputationRep:
    Horror films often reflect societal anxieties. The obvious one being references to xenophobia. Although Home Invasion can be a scary enough concept, it could be interpreted as being related to the fear of foreigners. As mentioned above, maybe he was challenging you.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he was thinking of a lot of mainstream horror, which is rather vapid, although that's not much different from most cinema. Although horror is perhaps the most primal genre, so I definitely relate to your frustration. Your picks of Under the Skin and The Shining are two prime examples of horror masterpieces that so perfectly exemplify this primal feeling. Other films, like The Blair Witch Project exemplify our own potential to descend into madness, as well as our human morbid curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solw)
    They should watch Funny Games.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.