Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain to me why there are 6 peaks for isoleucine, 5 peaks for leucine and 7 for tyrosine
    i understand that it is to do with neighbouring carbons but isoleucine and leucine have the same number of neighbouring carbons?
    i don't know how there is 7 for tyrosine because the benzene ring should give 6 and 2 other carbons give 8?

question 2d)
    http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...y%202%20QP.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esmeralda123)
    can someone explain to me why there are 6 peaks for isoleucine, 5 peaks for leucine and 7 for tyrosine
    i understand that it is to do with neighbouring carbons but isoleucine and leucine have the same number of neighbouring carbons?
    i don't know how there is 7 for tyrosine because the benzene ring should give 6 and 2 other carbons give 8?

question 2d)
    http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...y%202%20QP.pdf
    Hi. Each peak relates to a different carbon environment. I think you are getting mixed up with HNMR as the splitting relates to the number of neighbouring protons on the adjacent carbon atoms.
    For example for Isoleucine each carbon atom is in a different carbon environment so there are 6 peaks. For Tyrosine there are 7 environments (Starting from the bottom of benzene). 1 is the carbon on the benzene ring attached to the OH. the second environment is the two carbon atoms on the benzene ring up from the bottom one as the OH affects their environment. The next is the two carbons on the benzene ring below the top carbon as again they are affected by the attached CH3 above. The 4th environment is the carbon at the top of the benzene ring. The 5th is the CH2. The 6th is the CH and the 7th is the COOH.

I hope that helps! Its hard to explain without annotating the molecule itself but feel free to ask about anything your unsure on!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.