Turn on thread page Beta

Is there anyway to not be in class with someone? watch

ReputationRep:
    Please hear me out before you think I’m being nasty or mean for not wanting to be with this friend in university.

This friend is a lovely person outside of a work or learning environment. We get on really well but she prevents me from making friends with others. Which I’m fine with in college because the college has basically stuck with high school groups, but with uni I really want to meet some new friends as well as keep others. With homework or coursework she constantly asks what she has to do over text, almost every single project. When we don’t have any work I love being around her but uni will be filled with work every week.

I think she wants to go to a similar uni as me, and i think she might even do the same course due to her anxiety. I understand her anxiety because I had it myself, but I’m paying for uni for opportunities and i think she will prevent me from having them due to her anxiety. (For example in college she hates the canteen, even though it’s where people talk to each other so we cannot go there). Is there any way to ask for her to not be in my class if she picks the same uni as me? Is there anything else I can do if not? Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It’s not definite she will go to mine yet, because I haven’t looked around them yet. But she has mentioned hoping we end up together. I want to stay friends with her outside of uni btw.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just don't tell her what uni you're going to or want to go to. If she asks, say you're not 100% certain yet and won't be until results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Just don't tell her what uni you're going to or want to go to. If she asks, say you're not 100% certain yet and won't be until results day.
    That’s a good idea, thank you. I don’t why I didn’t think of that!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Noodlestudent)
    That’s a good idea, thank you. I don’t why I didn’t think of that!
    It's what I did with a clingy friend and it worked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    It's what I did with a clingy friend and it worked!
    Haha thank you for understanding as well, I thought i was going to be told I was being nasty or something.

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell her about the uni.

Also there are't 'classes' normally at uni. You have big group lectures most of the time. The only things which vary are optional modules and then there's only one group per module and seminars (which you can't choose your groups. But if you end up together you'll just have to be a bit more assertive with making sure you taking opportunities. You probably won't live together so you can hang out with your halls friends, join societies which she doesn't acre about, and just say 'I wanna go to the cafe, are you coming' and if she says no just say 'OK no problem, see you later'. Sit with other people and chat to them, if she says she wants to sit alone just say 'I wanna make friends' and go sit down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Don't tell her about the uni.

Also there are't 'classes' normally at uni. You have big group lectures most of the time. The only things which vary are optional modules and then there's only one group per module and seminars (which you can't choose your groups. But if you end up together you'll just have to be a bit more assertive with making sure you taking opportunities. You probably won't live together so you can hang out with your halls friends, join societies which she doesn't acre about, and just say 'I wanna go to the cafe, are you coming' and if she says no just say 'OK no problem, see you later'. Sit with other people and chat to them, if she says she wants to sit alone just say 'I wanna make friends' and go sit down.
    Thank you, i just have the worst case scenario in my head. She is quite clingy and I do need to learn to stand up, it’s just quite hard because I’m quite anxious myself.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.