Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 8 and i am supposed to pick my options in 2 weeks . I want to study law at uni and gradually become a lawyer. What do i pick ?

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately it's your decision at the end of the day but as you are interested in law I would recommend history due to essays. However, if you don't enjoy history it is pointless taking it because you may not get a as good grade compared to if you took a subject you life.
    I know people say taking a MFL is good but from my perspective based on what my friends have told me (I don't take a MFL but take a Welsh GCSE) it is a lot of hard work so only take a MFL if you have a passion for it.
    Overall, my main piece of advice would be just choose the subjects you like because it's grades what matter at this point not actual subject choices!

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy and Ethics is a great one if you want to do law. Sadly there are not many subjects that directly contribute to law. Perhaps, psychology or sociology will help you have a better understanding of society and minds.
    hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    You could look at what kind of A Levels you need to study law, then just make sure you're choosing options that will allow you to take those A Levels e.g. a level history you'd probably need GCSE history.

To be honest it's not a massive deal what you pick though at this stage.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE level, choices don't really matter. It's the grades. Take whatever you enjoy the most and get the best grades in. Law generally has no required A Level subjects but essay subjects are recommended so make sure you take choices that allow you to take the A Levels you want. But seriously don't worry about choosing what's best for a uni course at GCSE, do what you're best at and enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Keep your options open, dont pick subjects that are all to do with law, you could change what you want your future career to be by the time you are in year 11

ReputationRep:
    Business, history, philosophy and ethics if that’s an option too

ReputationRep:
    Probably history, RS, philosophy and politics (if your school offers it), same for economics.

ReputationRep:
    It is still early days and since you are young, I would pick a GCSE that you can get an A/A* in. History is one of the most difficult subjects both at GCSE and A-Level so I would recommend you do it later on. Maybe do another humanity like Psychology or Sociology or something like Business and Economics. Those are manageable because ultimately with GCSEs its not about what you do but how well you do

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julia.unicorn)
    I am currently in year 8 and i am supposed to pick my options in 2 weeks . I want to study law at uni and gradually become a lawyer. What do i pick ?
    Hi- I'm in Year 11 right now and i want to study law at Uni too I picked History and Psychology which are really good for law

ReputationRep:
    I recommend taking a variety of options and just take subjects you like and find fun. GCSEs are only a stepping stone to get you to A-levels and picking A-level options will contribute a lot more to your career choice. I do think taking History and/or Geography should be something you consider as it will help with structure and getting points across which will be good for being a lawyer

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.