The Student Room Group

A-Levels over 3 years

Hi guys
I'm sitting my A2 exams in Law and History this year and my 3rd A2 in economics next year. This has occurred due to economics not being an option in my first year of 6th form, meaning I've had to do a further year of study as I really wanted to study economics.
Will this effect my chances of getting accepted into a better university? I'm mainly looking to apply for Unis of York and Manchester, and am expected to achieve at least AAB but teachers have suggested it could be possible to get straight As (especially as I'm not taking them all at once). I've contacted a few unis regarding this, but haven't received any replies.
If anyone has any advice or could help in any way it would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by TylerRoss
Hi guys
I'm sitting my A2 exams in Law and History this year and my 3rd A2 in economics next year. This has occurred due to economics not being an option in my first year of 6th form, meaning I've had to do a further year of study as I really wanted to study economics.
Will this effect my chances of getting accepted into a better university? I'm mainly looking to apply for Unis of York and Manchester, and am expected to achieve at least AAB but teachers have suggested it could be possible to get straight As (especially as I'm not taking them all at once). I've contacted a few unis regarding this, but haven't received any replies.
If anyone has any advice or could help in any way it would be much appreciated :smile:

I am in my third year of college as I had to resit the second year due to personal circumstances. Most universities are absolutely fine with this but a select few aren't. I also did Law and I am resitting Economics this year!

For the record I applied to Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds, UEA and UCL this year gaining offers from all of them (minus UCL who are yet to respond). For the universities you have mentioned I don't think this would be much of a problem at all.
Reply 2
Original post by LMsav
I am in my third year of college as I had to resit the second year due to personal circumstances. Most universities are absolutely fine with this but a select few aren't. I also did Law and I am resitting Economics this year!

For the record I applied to Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds, UEA and UCL this year gaining offers from all of them (minus UCL who are yet to respond). For the universities you have mentioned I don't think this would be much of a problem at all.

That puts me at ease! thank you and thanks for the fast response! :smile:
That puts me at ease! thank you and thanks for the fast response! :smile:

No worries mate good luck with everything! I spoke to Manchester on a few occasions and they are usually fine with resits apart from very competitive courses (medicine etc). What have you applied for?
Reply 4
Original post by LMsav
No worries mate good luck with everything! I spoke to Manchester on a few occasions and they are usually fine with resits apart from very competitive courses (medicine etc). What have you applied for?

Thanks bro you too!! Also, haven't applied just yet, I decided to wait a year as I new I'd be doing a 3rd year at 6th. Pretty torn between 1.economics 2.accounting and finance. Haven't really been able to decide as I've been worried about the 3 year issue but will hopefully know after going to a few open days in the summer
Thanks bro you too!! Also, haven't applied just yet, I decided to wait a year as I new I'd be doing a 3rd year at 6th. Pretty torn between 1.economics 2.accounting and finance. Haven't really been able to decide as I've been worried about the 3 year issue but will hopefully know after going to a few open days in the summer

I was stressed about it too! Especially on results day thought that was it when I saw my grades no uni for me but I was wrong! I applied for IBFE at Manchester (International Business, Finance and Economics) and got an offer back very quick. Both of those courses you mentioned should be fine over 3 years as long as you meet all the entry requirements so don't sweat it bro
Reply 6
Original post by LMsav
I was stressed about it too! Especially on results day thought that was it when I saw my grades no uni for me but I was wrong! I applied for IBFE at Manchester (International Business, Finance and Economics) and got an offer back very quick. Both of those courses you mentioned should be fine over 3 years as long as you meet all the entry requirements so don't sweat it bro

Fingers crossed.. thanks once again mate:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by LMsav

Hey dude, just looking back on this thread. What grade offer did you get from Manchester? Was the offer higher due to the 3rd year re-sit or was it in line with the standard offer?
Hey dude, just looking back on this thread. What grade offer did you get from Manchester? Was the offer higher due to the 3rd year re-sit or was it in line with the standard offer?

I got the standard offer mate. Strangely, on their website it said something about raising grades - though I called them and they said this wasn’t the case:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending