Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My work is very strict on sick and we have meetings every week regarding sick management. If I have more than 12 days off I will be sacked. What are your company policy on sickness?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by richard10012)
    My work is very strict on sick and we have meetings every week regarding sick management. If I have more than 12 days off I will be sacked. What are your company policy on sickness?
    I'm allowed 6 weeks sick pay per year.

I have to phone my manager if I'm sick, I can't just text/email him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If we are sick we have to phone an absence line before our shift on our first day of sickness and phone the absence line to close off the absence before our shift on our first day back.
    Every july, if we have got 100% attendance for that year we get a bonus of £300 (it goes down a bit for 99% and 98% attendance and 0 bonus if lower than that.
    But if we have a lot of time off though for no good reason we get spoken to about it (an maybe further action if it carries on).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why do you get sacked if you have more than 12 days off? What if it is genuine?
    And what period of time is that over- is that 12 days a year?

ReputationRep:
    Our policy is if you are sick you are sick, unfortunatley this year so far I've had 18 days of sick leave, 10 due to an operation and the other 8 being due to bad fluey type viruses where I could barely get out of bed and its been accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Basically can have as much sick as you want but after 5 days you need a sick note. If you’re off on more than 3 occasions in one year you have a meeting with your manager to discuss. If you’re sick again you get another meeting and it gradually escalates until it’s a formal review with the top dogs .... or so I’ve heard! Though I know of people who have been on long term sick for months and months where I work and then just come back - I don’t think they can fire you for being sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Basically can have as much sick as you want but after 5 days you need a sick note. If you’re off on more than 3 occasions in one year you have a meeting with your manager to discuss. If you’re sick again you get another meeting and it gradually escalates until it’s a formal review with the top dogs .... or so I’ve heard! Though I know of people who have been on long term sick for months and months where I work and then just come back - I don’t think they can fire you for being sick.
    They absolutely can, they just need to follow due process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    They absolutely can, they just need to follow due process.
    Well they probably can but I doubt they ever would unless you took the absolute piss or it’s obvious you were lying - at least in the company I work for... it wouldn’t make sense at all it’s all about equal opportunities and being inclusive etc for both physical and mental health.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm semi-self employed so there isn't really a sickness policy. I just have to take on a certain number of clients per week to fulfil my contract and get paid. If I'm ill then I can just reschedule with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Well they probably can but I doubt they ever would unless you took the absolute piss or it’s obvious you were lying - at least in the company I work for... it wouldn’t make sense at all it’s all about equal opportunities and being inclusive etc for both physical and mental health.
    You'd be surprised. Seen it time and time again - not every employer is as good on this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I havent had a sick day in 3 years, but i think if i had more than 5 days off in 3 months they talk to you about it, and like 6 in 6 months etc. Its pretty strict but ive never been off ill so i never had to experience it.

ReputationRep:
    Unlimited sick leave with no questions asked. Sick days are taken on a trust basis, but anything longer than 7 consecutive days requires a doctor's note.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.