Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I’ve passed everything first time to date but these are obviously the first advanced stage exams I’m doing - how much harder is it and how much does it build on from professional level?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    SBM is mostly ********, not difficult at all but rather difficult to make time for in terms of revision as CR seems a bit more overwhelming.

There's lots of new things being introduced for CR so majority of people, including myself, have focused on this during revision and somewhat neglected SBM. According to my college tutors at the time that's the No 1 reason people don't pass SBM too - the pass rates for it tend to be quite high but often people only pass in the 50-59% range apparently.

I found college and my tutors absolutely invaluable for these two as they were v experienced and v familiar with each exam and thus more than happy to walk us through the most relevant areas again and again and again, including teaching us skeleton answers to certain topics for which you then only really needed to put in the numbers and a bit of analysis.

Good thing is you can bring in your folders - I'd recommend bringing them in from the very beginning in college as over time you'll see how time pressured TIs are and which parts of the material you'll definitely need and which ones you don't. So by the end of revision period you'd then have the essentials down, knowing where everything is at the back of your mind. I still brought in the study manuals for both exams for peace of mind only, but lots of people didn't as there's really no time to go over them in the exam. I did use mine briefly in CR I think it was to look something up in the index that I didn't remember reading before (was something semi obscure, not taught at college as just a knowledge point) but don't think that's the norm.

Overall both v doable if you're organised and put the time in. Not much different to Prof Lvl in that regard.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.