Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    > implying gypsies can't be "genuinely needy people".....
    I'm not implying anything about gypsies... I said that the people mentioned (people 'career begging' making up to £200 a day and getting picked up by nice cars in the evening and going to a home) do not need the money as much as a genuinely homeless person living on the street
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Name:  C5D4BEB7-29A3-4D6E-9204-9A2D3066E66D.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  75.3 KB“13 homeless people were given £3,000 with no strings attached. 7 had a roof over their heads 18 months later. 2 more were about to move into an apartment. All 13 were taking huge steps including enrolling in classes, learning to cook and visiting their family.”
    https://twitter.com/steamedhamms/sta...80983697498113

“The 13 were homeless men that had been rough sleeping on the pavements of the square mile for decades. They roughly cost £400,000 a year between police expenses, court costs, social services etc. (until Broadway (a London aid org) gave them £3,000 each)”

ReputationRep:
    Always amazed by these discussions how many folk think giving a few quid to someone on the street lets you judge and dehumanise them, 'oh but the animals might spend it on ANYTHING!' You'd all freak the hell out if you were told your student loan/wages wouldn't be in cash anymore, because you were children and couldn't be trusted not to buy toys with it. (plenty of folk have that attitude as well)

Properly living on the street looks such a hell that I don't think I can judge what someone needs to get through the day, I try and avoid giving to obvious junkies (usually have the more elaborate stories) and organised families of beggars (you'll often see a gangmaster nearby) but it's pretty easy to tell the difference and avoid tarring all with the same brush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    this is why i’m not sure whether to give a homeless person food or monday. Sometimes they don’t even want it
    assuming u meant money , as mentioned by someone else i usually give them food because with money they could blow it on alcohol or drugs or ****

most homeless ppl where i live have about 5 or 6 bottles surrounding them :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    assuming u meant money , as mentioned by someone else i usually give them food because with money they could blow it on alcohol or drugs or ****

most homeless ppl where i live have about 5 or 6 bottles surrounding them :/
    sorry yes money, damn autocorrect. Yeah giving food is defo a better option than giving money just incase it’s spend on alcohol or drugs
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    sorry yes money, damn autocorrect. Yeah giving food is defo a better option than giving money just incase it’s spend on alcohol or drugs
    same that one guy dosen't like cheeseburgers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I give a few pennies, 10 pence, 20 pence even pound coins to the homeless person.

You could be a ray of sunshine in their entire day that someone came up to them and was so kind and understanding of their situation.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer donate to charities with direction donations like Hope Now Ministries. It's a charity organization that helps orphans to meet basic needs. I try to donate at least 20-50$ per month, it's not a big sum of money but it can help these orphans to survive.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.