Turn on thread page Beta

Please Please can someone help! [Plagiarism] watch

ReputationRep:
    Hope someone can help.

I'm a really anxious person by nature so very extensively checked my 10,000 word Bsc dissertation for plagiarism. I cited properly and usually use writecheck to review my work, it's always accurate. Before submitting, it gave me a similarity score of 7% (almost everything it highlighted were just random words). I thought that would be okay and submitted a month ago to turnitin. Few days back, got an email from my supervisor everything is fine its just sent to external and internal examiners now. She also confirmed my viva date for end of May.

Being the nervous person I am, I ran my work again today and just noticed the last sentence of my conclusion (literally the last sentence of my disso) flagged up, around 15 words. Its poorly paraphrased, I'm extremely worried I'll be failed for plagiarism. Should I email my supervisor asap and my internal examiner (doubt they've already read my conclusion)? Or should I just wait till the uni contacts me and then apologize. Alot of people have said they doubt it will even be noticed and at most I'll lose a mark, but its eating me alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina8)
    Hope someone can help.

I'm a really anxious person by nature so very extensively checked my 10,000 word Bsc dissertation for plagiarism. I cited properly and usually use writecheck to review my work, it's always accurate. Before submitting, it gave me a similarity score of 7% (almost everything it highlighted were just random words). I thought that would be okay and submitted a month ago to turnitin. Few days back, got an email from my supervisor everything is fine its just sent to external and internal examiners now. She also confirmed my viva date for end of May.

Being the nervous person I am, I ran my work again today and just noticed the last sentence of my conclusion (literally the last sentence of my disso) flagged up, around 15 words. Its poorly paraphrased, I'm extremely worried I'll be failed for plagiarism. Should I email my supervisor asap and my internal examiner (doubt they've already read my conclusion)? Or should I just wait till the uni contacts me and then apologize. Alot of people have said they doubt it will even be noticed and at most I'll lose a mark, but its eating me alive.
    You’re worrying wayyyyy too much, it’ll have to reach 20% to flag up to the university which 15 words would not out of a 10,000 word dissertation honestly
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Wait till uni contacts you. Since two examiners have checked, I guess it would be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lily048)
    You’re worrying wayyyyy too much, it’ll have to reach 20% to flag up to the university which 15 words would not out of a 10,000 word dissertation honestly
    (Original post by neluxsan)
    Wait till uni contacts you. Since two examiners have checked, I guess it would be fine
    I got my viva date confirmed fairly quickly and an email confirming its been sent out to 2 examiners. Would've imagined if there was some major issue that the university wouldn't have sent it out and my viva wouldn't be confirmed till investigation was complete?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina8)
    I got my viva date confirmed fairly quickly and an email confirming its been sent out to 2 examiners. Would've imagined if there was some major issue that the university wouldn't have sent it out and my viva wouldn't be confirmed till investigation was complete?
    I guess so...

ReputationRep:
    I guess so...
    Sorry, just fairly worried whether I should email asap. Alot of my friends said its not likely it would be noticed, overall similarity on my disso was 7% using write check. They doubt the uni would review every single source if the percentage is below 30%. My disso was on stress in medical students and the 15 something words I think I plagiarized are something like "it is imp to implement strategies to reduce med student stress, to strengthen their commitment to medicine so they provide better patient care". It was a general statement too and a logical conclusion, never thought twice to check if it might be plagiarized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina8)
    Sorry, just fairly worried whether I should email asap. Alot of my friends said its not likely it would be noticed, overall similarity on my disso was 7% using write check. They doubt the uni would review every single source if the percentage is below 30%. My disso was on stress in medical students and the 15 something words I think I plagiarized are something like "it is imp to implement strategies to reduce med student stress, to strengthen their commitment to medicine so they provide better patient care". It was a general statement too and a logical conclusion, never thought twice to check if it might be plagiarized.
    Nah, you should wait it out and try letting it slip under radar, since uni sent it off, I'm pretty sure its fine and under the radar. If you do something, the examiners might recheck your entire essay and may cause extra hassle...

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you should wait it out and try letting it slip under radar, since uni sent it off, I'm pretty sure its fine and under the radar. If you do something, the examiners might recheck your entire essay and may cause extra hassle...
    Thankyou so much!

ReputationRep:
    np

ReputationRep:
    Since when did undergrad degrees involve vivas?

ReputationRep:
    Small matches are okay but a sentence of 15 words would be worrying if you had a higher plagiarism score. My guess is that nobody will even be remotely bothered. It also has to have some significant impact, and this doesn’t sound that important. Chill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Since when did undergrad degrees involve vivas?
    Haha, mine does Always thought they were for masters only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canterbury bloke)
    Small matches are okay but a sentence of 15 words would be worrying if you had a higher plagiarism score. My guess is that nobody will even be remotely bothered. It also has to have some significant impact, and this doesn’t sound that important. Chill.
    Including these 15 something words, my overall similarity score was 7% when I looked at it on Writecheck. The other things highlighted were random words, like "the" lol. Thankyou, I hope so... its sent out to both examiners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina8)
    Haha, mine does Always thought they were for masters only.
    I didn't do one for my Masters, only for the PhD.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.