Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dissertation Plagarism Help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hope someone can help.

I'm a really anxious person by nature so very extensively checked my 10,000 word Bsc dissertation for plagiarism. I cited properly and usually use writecheck to review my work, it's always accurate. Before submitting, it gave me a similarity score of 7% (almost everything it highlighted were just random words). I thought that would be okay and submitted a month ago to turnitin. Few days back, got an email from my supervisor everything is fine its just sent to external and internal examiners now. She also confirmed my viva date for end of May.

Being the nervous person I am, I ran my work again today (its still 7%) and just noticed the last sentence of my conclusion (literally the last sentence of my disso) flagged up, around 15 words. Its poorly paraphrased, I'm extremely worried I'll be failed for plagiarism. Should I email my supervisor asap and my internal examiner (doubt they've already read my conclusion)? Or should I just wait till the uni contacts me and then apologize. Alot of people have said they doubt it will even be noticed and at most I'll lose a mark, but its eating me alive.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Nina8)
    Hope someone can help.

I'm a really anxious person by nature so very extensively checked my 10,000 word Bsc dissertation for plagiarism. I cited properly and usually use writecheck to review my work, it's always accurate. Before submitting, it gave me a similarity score of 7% (almost everything it highlighted were just random words). I thought that would be okay and submitted a month ago to turnitin. Few days back, got an email from my supervisor everything is fine its just sent to external and internal examiners now. She also confirmed my viva date for end of May.

Being the nervous person I am, I ran my work again today (its still 7%) and just noticed the last sentence of my conclusion (literally the last sentence of my disso) flagged up, around 15 words. Its poorly paraphrased, I'm extremely worried I'll be failed for plagiarism. Should I email my supervisor asap and my internal examiner (doubt they've already read my conclusion)? Or should I just wait till the uni contacts me and then apologize. Alot of people have said they doubt it will even be noticed and at most I'll lose a mark, but its eating me alive.
    it should clearly look like a little mistake so i wouldnt worry about it

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can definitely see that you are an anxious person!

I really don't think that you will have any problem with just 15 random words in one sentence of a 10.000-word dissertation. And yes, probably they won't even notice it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    it should clearly look like a little mistake so i wouldnt worry about it
    (Original post by V for souVlaki)
    Well, I can definitely see that you are an anxious person!

I really don't think that you will have any problem with just 15 random words in one sentence of a 10.000-word dissertation. And yes, probably they won't even notice it.

Thankyou so much for your reply guys! I feel so relieved. Hopefully 7% as a similarity report is okay, when I went through the report literally all of the words highlighted by writecheck were random. My supervisor sent my thesis and confirmed my viva fairly quickly too, hopefully that means when she sent Turnitin reports etc to external examiners things were ok? Would've imagined the uni contacting me asap and examiners refusing to mark if there was a major offence.

However, these last 15 words in my conclusion were highlighted consecutively. Basically my dissertation was about stress and burnout in medical students (ironic considering i am one haha), and I had concluded it by saying it is important to implement strategies to decrease stress and burnout in medical students. This strengthens a students commitment to medicine, so they can provide good patient care.

I ran these words through google and a source popped up. Read through it and I immediately found I had partially lifted these words from this journal (poor paraphrasing), and this phrase seemed obvious, so I didn't think twice I might be plagiarizing during dissertation days (and didn't add a reference). I'm just anxious I can be quizzed about it in my viva, should I still take this authors reference details just to be safe.

Sorry again for the multitude of questions, been really hard on myself today
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Nina8)
    Thankyou so much for your reply guys! I feel so relieved. Hopefully 7% as a similarity report is okay, when I went through the report literally all of the words highlighted by writecheck were random. My supervisor sent my thesis and confirmed my viva fairly quickly too, hopefully that means when she sent Turnitin reports etc to external examiners things were ok? Would've imagined the uni contacting me asap and examiners refusing to mark if there was a major offence.

However, these last 15 words in my conclusion were highlighted consecutively. Basically my dissertation was about stress and burnout in medical students (ironic considering i am one haha), and I had concluded it by saying it is important to implement strategies to decrease stress and burnout in medical students. This strengthens a students commitment to medicine, so they can provide good patient care.

I ran these words through google and a source popped up. Read through it and I immediately found I had partially lifted these words from this journal (poor paraphrasing), and this phrase seemed obvious, so I didn't think twice I might be plagiarizing during dissertation days (and didn't add a reference). I'm just anxious I can be quizzed about it in my viva, should I still take this authors reference details just to be safe.

Sorry again for the multitude of questions, been really hard on myself today
    if it makes you more comfortable take the details but you have made an obvious conclusion so i wouldn't worry about them thinking you plagarised it, i'd have thought they would have brought you up on it by now if they were going to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    if it makes you more comfortable take the details but you have made an obvious conclusion so i wouldn't worry about them thinking you plagarised it, i'd have thought they would have brought you up on it by now if they were going to.
    Yeah same! It's been almost a month since submission, viva has been confirmed end of May few days ago. I think its just my nerves, thankyou so so much
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Nina8)
    Yeah same! It's been almost a month since submission, viva has been confirmed end of May few days ago. I think its just my nerves, thankyou so so much
    no problem ,best of luck for your viva

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.