Turn on thread page Beta

Hey guys

IMG here , I have applied for stand alone FY1 and will hopefully start working as a junior doctor soon. I've been told that it is important for junior doctors to befriend nurses, as they will seriously help you out in the early days. Also getting along with other junior doctors i guess is important, in case you need them to cover a shift or help you out with something. Making a good impression on senior docs is important too i guess.

So my question is , I've been pretty unsocial for most of my life , strong introvert you could say. Is this going to be a big hindrance when i start working? . I hear reputation is a big deal in hospitals, and i can imagine the charismatic outgoing guy having a much easier time than a reserved quiet individual such as myself.

Give the nurses the respect they deserve, listen to their concerns, and communicate well with them and you'll be fine. Swap shifts with people if you're okay doing it and they'll be more likely to do so when you need a swap. Do your job properly and don't cause more work for them, and the consultants will be fine.

Generally, people who go into healthcare are quite idealistic, have a sense of fairness, and like to help people and be useful. As long as you help out and respect everyone else, you'll be helped and respected in return. You don't need to be extra charismatic to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Give the nurses the respect they deserve, listen to their concerns, and communicate well with them and you'll be fine. Swap shifts with people if you're okay doing it and they'll be more likely to do so when you need a swap. Do your job properly and don't cause more work for them, and the consultants will be fine.

Generally, people who go into healthcare are quite idealistic, have a sense of fairness, and like to help people and be useful. As long as you help out and respect everyone else, you'll be helped and respected in return. You don't need to be extra charismatic to do that.
    True dat 👌🏼
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Hey guys

IMG here , I have applied for stand alone FY1 and will hopefully start working as a junior doctor soon. I've been told that it is important for junior doctors to befriend nurses, as they will seriously help you out in the early days. Also getting along with other junior doctors i guess is important, in case you need them to cover a shift or help you out with something. Making a good impression on senior docs is important too i guess.

So my question is , I've been pretty unsocial for most of my life , strong introvert you could say. Is this going to be a big hindrance when i start working? . I hear reputation is a big deal in hospitals, and i can imagine the charismatic outgoing guy having a much easier time than a reserved quiet individual such as myself.
    You don't have to be outgoing necessarily, just friendly and considerate. I am quite introverted but have always got on brilliantly with nurses. Don't be rude to them, listen to their concerns (and their advice sometimes!), and be nice. And share your sweets with them, that is always appreciated

Same with junior doctors - just be friendly, try and go for lunch with the people you work with, try to go to the odd night out.

With consultants, the only problem I have had is that being quiet can sometimes be interpreted as being under-confident. The only way to get around this is unfortunately to speak up more - e.g. speaking up about patients during MDTs, presenting patients you have clerked in before the consultant sees them etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In terms of day to day just being polite is fine. It's amazing how many people can't manage that, so if you can that's good.

Unfortunately there is still a bit of 'who you know' about in terms of access to audits and research etc, and there are plenty of arse-lickers around willing to oblige. I just recommend being straight to the point - 'hello, I'm interested in your speciality - have you got any projects I can be involved with'. Perhaps I'm naive but not being social often = gets distracted less and works harder and I do think people will notice that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey guys

IMG here , I have applied for stand alone FY1 and will hopefully start working as a junior doctor soon. I've been told that it is important for junior doctors to befriend nurses, as they will seriously help you out in the early days.
    While that's true, you don't have to befriend them to the extent that you are buying them coffee and tea every day! As said, just being polite goes a long way. They make allowances for you being an FY1. They did for me anyway!

Also getting along with other junior doctors i guess is important, in case you need them to cover a shift or help you out with something.
    Obviously being a team player, and playing your role (properly) helps. If you are open to swapping shifts, you can expect the offer to be repaid in the future!

Making a good impression on senior docs is important too i guess.
    Again they make allowances for you being an FY1.

So my question is , I've been pretty unsocial for most of my life , strong introvert you could say. Is this going to be a big hindrance when i start working?
    It shouldn't be at all. I know lots of doctors who are introverts and they get along just fine. Be polite and humble, confident but not arrogant!

I hear reputation is a big deal in hospitals, and i can imagine the charismatic outgoing guy having a much easier time than a reserved quiet individual such as myself.
    Not necessarily, it depends on who you are working with! Don't worry, being polite to everyone is the way to success. (Have I mentioned being polite yet?)

hmm so i should be polite and friendly??....might just be crazy enough to work

But seriously thanks for the advice everyone, appreciate it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.