Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today I was going for a PR of 100kg. Usually I always do overhand grip to improve grip strength.

I tried overhand grip and couldn’t lift it at all. But then I tried mixed grip and lifted it for 5 reps so easily!

So is overhand grip not the way to go? I was thinking warmup overhand then do mixed for working set
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hook grip is the way to go, or straps (but it won’t work your grip this way). With double overhand you’ll stall on PR’s eventually due to grip giving up and with mixed grip you risk getting a bicep tear when you reach bigger numbers

ReputationRep:
    I use an overhand grip most of the time and if I really can't lift the weight I'll use the mixed grip cos it works well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Hook grip is the way to go, or straps (but it won’t work your grip this way). With double overhand you’ll stall on PR’s eventually due to grip giving up and with mixed grip you risk getting a bicep tear when you reach bigger numbers
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    I use an overhand grip most of the time and if I really can't lift the weight I'll use the mixed grip cos it works well
    Ngl I feel deep regret that if I did mixed group I would have been able to lift much more . Not deadlifting until wednesday
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Ngl I feel deep regret that if I did mixed group I would have been able to lift much more . Not deadlifting until wednesday
    Mixed grip lets you lift more. But as I said risk vs. reward. You might be fine at 100kg for reps with mix grip but wait till you get to 250 kg 1 rep max...you might tear a bicep. Practice the hook grip

ReputationRep:
    Mixed grip lets you lift more. But as I said risk vs. reward. You might be fine at 100kg for reps with mix grip but wait till you get to 250 kg 1 rep max...you might tear a bicep. Practice the hook grip
    I thought as long as you keep your arm straight then you don't tear your bicep? Will practice hook grip, does it help as much as mixed grip?

I even find I have weak grip on pull ups, and lat pull down. Or maybe the handles are too thick
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Warm up to about 60% of the weight of your working set with DOH.

Apply liquid chalk, then do mixed grip from there upwards or use straps from there on
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you deadlift regularly and are making good progress, you'll probably quite quickly outgrow the normal double overhand grip (meaning that the double overhand grip will be holding you back). Then you have to either switch to hook or mixed grip, or use straps. As others have said, hook grip is probably slightly safer than mixed, as you're less likely to tear a bicep. Nothing really wrong with straps if you're not planning on competing in some sort of competition where you have to be able to grip the bar without them, but probably best to move onto the hook grip, which can be quite painful initially, but you should get used to it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I thought as long as you keep your arm straight then you don't tear your bicep? Will practice hook grip, does it help as much as mixed grip?

I even find I have weak grip on pull ups, and lat pull down. Or maybe the handles are too thick
    Nope, the risk is there regardless. It’s an involuntary motion your body could make during the lift and before you know it the bicep is torn. Hook grip is just as effective as mixed grip, however it will take longer to get used to it and it will hurts your thumb the first few sessions. But once you adjust to it, it’s awesome. The reason why I recommend hook grip instead of straps is because if you ever plan to compete in powerlifting competitions, they won’t allow you to do deadlift with straps. So it’s good to train your grip. If you feel like your grip is not very strong then you can buy one of those things (can’t remember the name of them) that you can squeeze in your hands and treat it as a workout for reps and sets. You can google it, they do help.

ReputationRep:
    Mixed or hook is what everyone lifting a decent weight will be using (well, there's probably someone out there with super human grip strength, but normal people). The odds of tearing a bicep are very low. All lifting has injury risk but don't so stupid things and you'll very likely be fine.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BKS)
    Mixed or hook is what everyone lifting a decent weight will be using (well, there's probably someone out there with super human grip strength, but normal people). The odds of tearing a bicep are very low. All lifting has injury risk but don't so stupid things and you'll very likely be fine.
    Risk is honestly not so low, especially when you’re reaching near the end of your natty limit strength wise
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There's nothing stopping you from just using straps and then if you choose to compete, converting into hooked or mixed grip either. People make it sound like if you choose straps, there's no going back.... that's just not true lol

ReputationRep:
    Risk is honestly not so low, especially when you’re reaching near the end of your natty limit strength wise
    You may have a point there on lifting huge weights but we are talking someone lifting 100kg x5 and most people will never get near their limit
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BKS)
    You may have a point there on lifting huge weights but we are talking someone lifting 100kg x5 and most people will never get near their limit
    Yeah of course at 100kg it’s not a problem lol.

It’s not so hard to reach your limit, just eat, lift, sleep, repeat. I got up to 260kg and I injured myself. Granted it wasn’t my bicep, it was my lower back😬 Still recovering

ReputationRep:
    Yeah of course at 100kg it’s not a problem lol.

It’s not so hard to reach your limit, just eat, lift, sleep, repeat. I got up to 260kg and I injured myself. Granted it wasn’t my bicep, it was my lower back😬 Still recovering
    My years of being in gyms strongly suggests most people who ever lift will never lift say 200kg. If you train with a bunch of powerlifters, you might see that sort of weight quite often and plenty more. But most lifters, not so much. And by the time you get to that point you'd know what you're doing well enough to make an informed decision by yourself, without some folk on TSR

And you will get injured if you lift long enough, it's part of it, everyone does and you have to accept that risk. I don't think mixed grip on your bicep can really be considered any more likely/risky than lower back injuries from deadlifting or rotator cuff injuries from benching. I think people blow the risk of it out of proportion
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BKS)
    My years of being in gyms strongly suggests most people who ever lift will never lift say 200kg. If you train with a bunch of powerlifters, you might see that sort of weight quite often and plenty more. But most lifters, not so much. And by the time you get to that point you'd know what you're doing well enough to make an informed decision by yourself, without some folk on TSR

And you will get injured if you lift long enough, it's part of it, everyone does and you have to accept that risk. I don't think mixed grip on your bicep can really be considered any more likely/risky than lower back injuries from deadlifting or rotator cuff injuries from benching. I think people blow the risk of it out of proportion
    Yeah man, you are right. In my gym no one else was lifting really heavy. But tbh it’s not even worth it. Personally I never competed in powerlifting I just did it because it felt good and I loved to see how much stronger I could get. But obviously thar was pretty stupid...Now I don’t think I’ll deadlift again anytime soon because I don’t want to be a cripple in my low 20’s. I’ve been out the gym for 5 months and just started back doing some compounds like bench, pulls ups...but squats and deadlift are out the equation for now. I do a lot more isolation too. Got no choice atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    There's nothing stopping you from just using straps and then if you choose to compete, converting into hooked or mixed grip either. People make it sound like if you choose straps, there's no going back.... that's just not true lol
    This. DOH to warmup, and put on straps when it becomes necessary. Honestly straps let you really focus on the main muscles targeted and not dropping the bar anyway. Mixed is slightly unsafe and is tempting imbalances even if you alternate, hook grip is almost as good as straps but hurts and is probably slightly damaging to your fingers so why bother?

If you're not competing why not just use straps? Changing to hook doesn't really require any training/break in period anyway so you can just use that whenever you feel like testing 'legit' maxes.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.