Turn on thread page Beta

If you won £10m what would you do with it? watch

ReputationRep:
    Buy 25 houses in Liverpool, Birmingham, the midlands ( anywhere with 100-200k houses) and rent them out and live off that. Clear my student debt , F off to an island somewhere and live c o m f o r t a b l y

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    How much is a house (especially in London)? And currently a 3 year degree costs about £50k including living costs.

So your budget isn't going to work I'm afraid.
    I think even 100k is too much for one family. I wouldn’t want to take more than that. But of course my budget wouldn’t work, it is hypothetical

ReputationRep:
    clothes, car, cocaine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hirsty97)
    clothes, car, cocaine

ReputationRep:
    I’ll buy TSR
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AvrgLondoner)
    I think even 100k is too much for one family. I wouldn’t want to take more than that. But of course my budget wouldn’t work, it is hypothetical
    Ok, but how much do you think a house is in London? The sort you'd like to buy for your mum.

ReputationRep:
    Id buy a plot of land and build my mum and step dad their dream house and his dream garage.
    Buy my sister a nice house for her and her kids, and put enough away so they can afford hotels when my youngest nephew has to go into hospital (he has congenital heart defects and often has stays in Alder Hey 2 hours away)
    Give some money to my brother and his wife.
    Buy a house for myself, a car, and do an intensive driving test thing.
    Give money to Ronald McDonald House Liverpool, and likely Alder Hey Childrens hospital.
    Put money into savings for future.
    Buy a house abroad for the family and set up a holiday account that they can use for flights to go have a holiday.
    Maybe invest in other property and charge affordable rents for people.
    Set up a charity in my area for young people and a youth centre.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvrgLondoner)
    My mum is currently buying a 2 bed bungalow in the middle of a housing estate in the north west for like £170,000 £100,000 will get you barely anything especially in london!!!

ReputationRep:
    - 1m on traveling and volunteering with animals.
    Not sure how much but a few thousand towards animal charities.
    - A nice big house in the country with a farm full of rescue animals and move family in.
    - A few cars including ones for family.
    - Start up a business to make even more money.
    - Get a small yacht.
    - Save up the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    People on here don't seem to get that £10 million isn't all that much. Assuming inflation runs to 2% per year, you can afford to spend £90k per year (in real terms - by 2073 you'll be spending £250k to maintain the same standard of living) for 60 years. That's comfortably well-off, but not uber-rich. The stuff most people are suggesting they'd do would probably bankrupt themselves in under 10 years. Many lottery winners end up no better off in the long-term because they spend just as quickly as they win.

I'll stick with the "boring" option and invest most of it. Of course I could splash out a little (new laptop, new phone, a car when the time comes), but I have no use for a mansion or fancy car right now. Unless it's a 911 GT3 or something that'll rocket up in value.
    Either you're thick or rich enough to say 10mil isn't a lot, it is to most people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    How much is a house (especially in London)? And currently a 3 year degree costs about £50k including living costs.

So your budget isn't going to work I'm afraid.
    true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherlockD)
    Buy 25 houses in Liverpool, Birmingham, the midlands ( anywhere with 100-200k houses) and rent them out and live off that. Clear my student debt , F off to an island somewhere and live c o m f o r t a b l y

probably a good idea, the houses near the universities will be especially profitable and have the potential to pay for themselves in like 10 years in some places...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    What would you spend it on?
    Buy a sh*t load of houses all over the uk -> rent

I'll then put the remaining cash into my savings and have some company handle the rents.

From that point on i'll live the life of a NEET that just plays games on his supercomputer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A tank, maybe an aircraft carrier if there's one spare.

ReputationRep:
    travel the worls, travel 1st class, 5* hotels, stay at penthouses, rent super cars, go on really expensive nights out, gamble tonnes of money, buy loads of unexcessary ****, sleep with loads of women. so just live it up **** around but in a sustainable fashion so employ folks who know they **** about investing because I don’t think it would be difficult to burn through 10 mil. but live in a way that relatives in future would know they had an ancestor in the 21st century who was a bad ass mother ****er

ReputationRep:
    Build animal shelter
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    1) Pay off student debt
    2) Buy a load of art supplies
    3) Give half to my parent
    4) Buy a house for me and my parent
    5) Use the remainder to run a rescue sanctuary for rodents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jheinexx)
    Give about 9 million to my mum and that’ll help her pay for bills and anything she wants. A nice new house, send money to charity and family who are poor/sick. And get anything i’ve ever wanted. This is so unlikely though.
    Lol your mum's bills shouldn't be costing millions

ReputationRep:
    Strive for Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I’d buy a house for a couple of million max, spend about another half million on cars, clothes etc and invest 7.5 million in low end property in middle class aspiring neighbourhoods

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.