Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm originally from England, and I'm just coming to the end of my undergraduate degree.

I considering myself to permanently live in Wales now (not just for the purpose of my education), and will remain here indefinitely. I've already got my house for next year as soon as my current tenancy ends, I've met my partner here and intend to work here after my postgraduate education ends. I would say that I domicile in Wales now. I don't call England home anymore and very rarely cross the border.

My question is, should I apply for student finance Wales when it comes to postgraduate funding for 2018-2019 now, or use my mother's home address to apply for Student Finance England?

I'm a mature student if that makes any difference (over 25).
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Martini6)
    Hey guys,

I'm originally from England, and I'm just coming to the end of my undergraduate degree.

I considering myself to permanently live in Wales now (not just for the purpose of my education), and will remain here indefinitely. I've already got my house for next year as soon as my current tenancy ends, I've met my partner here and intend to work here after my postgraduate education ends. I would say that I domicile in Wales now. I don't call England home anymore and very rarely cross the border.

My question is, should I apply for student finance Wales when it comes to postgraduate funding for 2018-2019 now, or use my mother's home address to apply for Student Finance England?

I think it might still be England, until you have three years non educational residency in Wales. I'd need to check. Unless ofc you were living in Wales before Uni. have you checked whether the welsh postgrad loan is the same less or more generous?

Just looked and it seems to be more generous by £3k, but I dont think you would count as ordinarily resident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I think it might still be England, until you have three years non educational residency in Wales. I'd need to check. Unless ofc you were living in Wales before Uni. have you checked whether the welsh postgrad loan is the same less or more generous?

Just looked and it seems to be more generous by £3k, but I dont think you would count as ordinarily resident.
    Cheers for the reply

Where did you find the information regarding three years non educational residency?

Yes the Welsh loan is £3k more than the English one and there's also a further £3k cut off the course fees too for students from Wales.

I just don't class England as being my home anymore, and haven't for the past few years now. I intend to stay put in Wales for the future and build my career there, and it's where my friends and boyfriend are now, so I have no reason to go back, other than occasional visits to see my Mum.

I also find it really unfair that there are such massive differences in the help available to students from England and Wales anyway, but that's another story. Having to pay £7k for a Masters and only getting £10k for the year doesn't leave you with much to live on! I know there's having a part time job too, but it's a massive difference from the help available at undergraduate level still.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Cheers for the reply

Where did you find the information regarding three years non educational residency?

Yes the Welsh loan is £3k more than the English one and there's also a further £3k cut off the course fees too for students from Wales.

I just don't class England as being my home anymore, and haven't for the past few years now. I intend to stay put in Wales for the future and build my career there, and it's where my friends and boyfriend are now, so I have no reason to go back, other than occasional visits to see my Mum.

I also find it really unfair that there are such massive differences in the help available to students from England and Wales anyway, but that's another story. Having to pay £7k for a Masters and only getting £10k for the year doesn't leave you with much to live on! I know there's having a part time job too, but it's a massive difference from the help available at undergraduate level still.

You need to live there for another 1.5 years and then you can class as ordinarily resident in Wales for the purpose of student loans. You should consider waiting.

If you’re from another part of the UK but you’re currently living in Wales while you study, you won’t be classed as ‘ordinarily resident’ in Wales and won’t be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan from Student Finance Wales.
    https://www.studentfinancewales.co.u...igibility.aspx

You wont pass the test until you get to 3 years.

Just to note these master loans are relatively new and didnt exist for anyone until a few years ago.

For N Ireland then you only get £5k.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again for the reply. That does make sense.

My only concern now is that on the rules for the English loans it says:

• You must have a permanent home address in England, but you can have been elsewhere for temporary absences, such as for travelling and education, including for the purpose of completing an undergraduate degree."

I don't have a permanent home address in England, don't get on with my family that well (hence why I see them so little, and I doubt they would let me stay longer than a night anyway), and now that I'm over 25 I consider that my home in Wales is my permanent home.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks again for the reply. That does make sense.

My only concern now is that on the rules for the English loans it says:

• You must have a permanent home address in England, but you can have been elsewhere for temporary absences, such as for travelling and education, including for the purpose of completing an undergraduate degree."

I don't have a permanent home address in England, don't get on with my family that well (hence why I see them so little, and I doubt they would let me stay longer than a night anyway), and now that I'm over 25 I consider that my home in Wales is my permanent home.
    Hi Martini6,

Sorry for the delayed reply here.

The rules for changing your award authority are slightly different from the regular residency rules. You won't be required to be ordinarily resident in Wales for 3 years between finishing your undergraduate and starting your postgraduate. To be transferred to SFW for your postgraduate study, you'd need to demonstrate that your now permanently residing in Wales, so you wouldn't be able to start the course immediately after your undergraduate, for example, you finish your undergraduate around May/June, you would need to wait until at least January to start your postgraduate.

You mentioned that you already have your accommodation organised, do you have a rental or mortgage agreement?

Thank you,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Martini6,

Sorry for the delayed reply here.

The rules for changing your award authority are slightly different from the regular residency rules. You won't be required to be ordinarily resident in Wales for 3 years between finishing your undergraduate and starting your postgraduate. To be transferred to SFW for your postgraduate study, you'd need to demonstrate that your now permanently residing in Wales, so you wouldn't be able to start the course immediately after your undergraduate, for example, you finish your undergraduate around May/June, you would need to wait until at least January to start your postgraduate.

You mentioned that you already have your accommodation organised, do you have a rental or mortgage agreement?

Thank you,

John.
    Hi John, thanks for the reply I had tried to do some research about the issue online but got really confused.

I have already organised my accommodation from July onwards and have signed a rental agreement for it. I intend to remain in that flat for the indefinite future then and it will be classed as my permanent home. I have a part time job here in Wales, my partner lives here, and I spend almost all of my time here, apart from the odd occasion such as Christmas where I go home to visit family. I don't have a room at my Mother's house anymore though, and being a mature student (over 25), I certainly don't class that as home anymore since I've been in Wales almost 3 years now.

My main concern has been that the difference between funding options available for postgraduate study between student finance England and student finance Wales means the difference between me continuing my education and doing a masters, or giving up completely and just going into full time work now. On the English scheme I'll get around £10k with my course costing around 7k, whereas on the Welsh scheme I'll get £13k with the course fees being reduced to £4k. This is essentially the difference between being able to afford to work part time and affording rent/to live etc, or having to go back into full time employment. (Which would still be here in Wales anyway as I live here now!).

Martin
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi John, thanks for the reply I had tried to do some research about the issue online but got really confused.

I have already organised my accommodation from July onwards and have signed a rental agreement for it. I intend to remain in that flat for the indefinite future then and it will be classed as my permanent home. I have a part time job here in Wales, my partner lives here, and I spend almost all of my time here, apart from the odd occasion such as Christmas where I go home to visit family. I don't have a room at my Mother's house anymore though, and being a mature student (over 25), I certainly don't class that as home anymore since I've been in Wales almost 3 years now.

My main concern has been that the difference between funding options available for postgraduate study between student finance England and student finance Wales means the difference between me continuing my education and doing a masters, or giving up completely and just going into full time work now. On the English scheme I'll get around £10k with my course costing around 7k, whereas on the Welsh scheme I'll get £13k with the course fees being reduced to £4k. This is essentially the difference between being able to afford to work part time and affording rent/to live etc, or having to go back into full time employment. (Which would still be here in Wales anyway as I live here now!).

Martin
    Hi Martin,

You're very welcome. It's quite an intricate topic so I can definitely understand your confusion.

Your overall situation would mean you're classed as being permanently resident in Wales now. The only other stipulation you'd need to meet to be transferred to SFW for your postgraduate is living in Wales for at least 1 academic semester. This means if you start your new course in September, you'll still be funded through SFE PGL, however, if you start your course in January 2019 onward, you can be transferred to SFW.

I hope this information helps but please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Martin,

You're very welcome. It's quite an intricate topic so I can definitely understand your confusion.

Your overall situation would mean you're classed as being permanently resident in Wales now. The only other stipulation you'd need to meet to be transferred to SFW for your postgraduate is living in Wales for at least 1 academic semester. This means if you start your new course in September, you'll still be funded through SFE PGL, however, if you start your course in January 2019 onward, you can be transferred to SFW.

I hope this information helps but please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

John.
    Thanks again for the quick reply John, that makes much more sense now!

One final question sorry! My other option would be to undertake a second undergraduate degree part time in a STEM subject (as I've heard this can be done).

Could you clarify whether doing Psychology part time would count as such an eligible course?

The course I'm interested in is: BSc (Hons) Psychology with Developmental Disorders at The University of South Wales. The part time option is 6 years, equivalent to the full time version of 3 years, meaning 50% course intensity each year. I've also messaged the University asking for the JACS codes for the courses and was told the following: (I enquired about a few courses):

"Hi Martin. The JACS codes are as follows:
    BSc (Hons) Psychology with Developmental Disorders - Subject code 1 C800 - Psychology BSc (Hons) Psychology with Behaviour Analysis - Subject code 1 C800 - Psychology, Subject code 2 C880 - Social psychology BSc (Hons) Psychology with Counselling - Major subject code C800 - Psychology Minor subject code B940 - Counselling I hope this helps.

Admissions"

Does this mean I would be able to get student finance for 6 years to cover the cost of the tuition fees of the course and get some maintenance help too?

Cheers!

Martin
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thanks again for the quick reply John, that makes much more sense now!

One final question sorry! My other option would be to undertake a second undergraduate degree part time in a STEM subject (as I've heard this can be done).

Could you clarify whether doing Psychology part time would count as such an eligible course?

The course I'm interested in is: BSc (Hons) Psychology with Developmental Disorders at The University of South Wales. The part time option is 6 years, equivalent to the full time version of 3 years, meaning 50% course intensity each year. I've also messaged the University asking for the JACS codes for the courses and was told the following: (I enquired about a few courses):

"Hi Martin. The JACS codes are as follows:
    BSc (Hons) Psychology with Developmental Disorders - Subject code 1 C800 - Psychology BSc (Hons) Psychology with Behaviour Analysis - Subject code 1 C800 - Psychology, Subject code 2 C880 - Social psychology BSc (Hons) Psychology with Counselling - Major subject code C800 - Psychology Minor subject code B940 - Counselling I hope this helps.

Admissions"

Does this mean I would be able to get student finance for 6 years to cover the cost of the tuition fees of the course and get some maintenance help too?

Cheers!

Martin
    Hi Martin,

You're very welcome.

I'm currently looking into the eligibility for funding for those courses.

I know if the JACS code begins with either H,I,J,B,C,D,F or G it should generally mean it's one of the part-time STEM exceptions.

I'll post here when I have a bit more information.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Martin,

You're very welcome.

I'm currently looking into the eligibility for funding for those courses.

I know if the JACS code begins with either H,I,J,B,C,D,F or G it should generally mean it's one of the part-time STEM exceptions.

I'll post here when I have a bit more information.

Kind regards,

John.
    Thanks again John.

So I guess my options would be to either wait until January and then do a masters course, and claim finance via SFW (which would be viable to live on rather than the SFE option which leaves you with basically nothing once you've paid course fees), or do a part time undergraduate STEM subject and work part time alongside it. (This would still be in Wales for 6 years), but I'm guessing I would need to apply for SFW again because of the whole 1 semester thing?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey guys,

Hi Hi Martini6,

If a student has studied previously in one domicile and moved to another part of the UK permanently, they should apply to the award authority that they currently live in.

Although they would continue to use the same account and login details to reapply, these students can't apply online until a Transfer Of Ownership has taken place.

If you were applying for a Masters course with a start date in September, immediately after completing an undergraduate where you were funded through SFE and living in Wales for the purpose of undertaking the course and what is termed the vacation period, you would have to apply through Student Finance England.

If you continue living in Wales and your course starts after January 1, 2019 you cerytainly would be eligible.

You can check with Student Finance Wales, if you would be accepted but if you want to apply for a Postgraduate Loan for a Masters starting in September/October you should still apply through Student Finance England.

Regards Rona

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.