Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would a Theoretical Phsyics BSc from UCL be good enough to apply to Maths Part III Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics, given that the degree is complemented by a lot of self maths study.

Are people with straight Mathematics degrees preferred when applying to DAMTP? and are there any stats for how many people receive offers with a non Mathematics degree.

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Mikasadoge)
    Would a Theoretical Phsyics BSc from UCL be good enough to apply to Maths Part III Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics, given that the degree is complemented by a lot of self maths study.

Are people with straight Mathematics degrees preferred when applying to DAMTP? and are there any stats for how many people receive offers with a non Mathematics degree.

Thanks
    http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/part-iii-prospective
    "Academic Entrance Requirements
    The MASt/MMath is a mathematically challenging and intensive course for well-qualified students with a high level of independence and self motivation. The minimum entry requirement for non-Cambridge graduates is normally a UK first class honours degree in mathematics, physics, engineering, or statistics, or an equivalent qualification."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/part-iii-prospective
    "Academic Entrance Requirements
    The MASt/MMath is a mathematically challenging and intensive course for well-qualified students with a high level of independence and self motivation. The minimum entry requirement for non-Cambridge graduates is normally a UK first class honours degree in mathematics, physics, engineering, or statistics, or an equivalent qualification."
    Oh I'm aware of that, I probably worded my questions a bit weirdly. I meant more in a general kind of sense.

The only stats I could find was this: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

it's useful but doesn't tell me the previous degree, just wondering how many actually get in with a Theoretical Physics degree.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh I'm aware of that, I probably worded my questions a bit weirdly. I meant more in a general kind of sense.

The only stats I could find was this: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

it's useful but doesn't tell me the previous degree, just wondering how many actually get in with a Theoretical Physics degree.
    Ask DAMTP....

But if the entry requirements say they accept a physics degree then they accept them. It would be a complete waste of your, and their, time if it wasn't the case.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ask DAMTP....

But if the entry requirements say they accept a physics degree then they accept them. It would be a complete waste of your, and their, time if it wasn't the case.
    Wouldn't have thought that they'd respond to me tbh.

And yeah that makes sense, thanks and sorrry if I wasted a bit of your time.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wouldn't have thought that they'd respond to me tbh.

And yeah that makes sense, thanks and sorrry if I wasted a bit of your time.
    No not at all

Honestly, ping them an email. Maybe ask how many physicists applied in recent years, and how many did they give offers to.

Or formally request a breakdown via whatdotheyknow...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No not at all

Honestly, ping them an email. Maybe ask how many physicists applied in recent years, and how many did they give offers to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will do! thanks a lot, enjoy your night
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Will do! thanks a lot, enjoy your night
    I certainly will

(And check my edit above)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.