Turn on thread page Beta

What are your opinions on marriage? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am just wondering what are everyone's opinions on what marriage is. Things like, how do you find the right partner; how to ensure that you will still love/like each other, even after 30-40 years.
    Just curious!

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by robotico2014)
    I am just wondering what are everyone's opinions on what marriage is. Things like, how do you find the right partner; how to ensure that you will still love/like each other, even after 30-40 years.
    Just curious!
    I personally really like marriage, I think it can be a beautiful thing. There isn't one way to find the right partner, more often than not happens by chance. You just happen to be in the same place at the same time as that person, and it just happens. You can't guarantee that you'll still love each other decades later, but if you work hard at your relationship, you have a pretty good chance of lasting.

My grandparents met when they were 16 and 18, married a year later, and had 6 kids by the time they were 25 and 27. They were together until my granddad died 10 years ago, over 50 years of marriage. My nan has said over and over again it wasn't easy. All their kids were boys so she found it very hard being the only woman in the house, and they weren't very well-off. But their relationship stood through raising 6 amazing men, one of whom is my father, they became grandparents and great-grandparents, and you could see the love they had for each other right up until my granddad died. And you can still see the love my nan has for him now, every year on his birthday, their anniversary.

Sometimes love just lasts and it's the best thing ever to see and experience. But there was no guarantee my grandparents would stay together. There never is a guarantee. My parents divorced after 6 years of marriage. I personally can't imagine them being a couple, they are so different and not right for each other, I'm surprised they lasted so long as a couple. That's just one marriage that lost the love, but that's okay, because there's more than one chance for everybody.

I think I've found the right person with my boyfriend, because I feel complete with him. When we are together, nothing else matters and it's the best thing in the world. We laugh, we explore places, we go out of our comfort zones, we go through the hard times together. That might not last, for whatever reason, but there's every chance that it will last, and that's beautiful. I'd love to marry him one day, and grow into a couple like my grandparents, having a huge family to celebrate decades of marriage and a wonderful life together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I personally really like marriage, I think it can be a beautiful thing. There isn't one way to find the right partner, more often than not happens by chance. You just happen to be in the same place at the same time as that person, and it just happens. You can't guarantee that you'll still love each other decades later, but if you work hard at your relationship, you have a pretty good chance of lasting.

My grandparents met when they were 16 and 18, married a year later, and had 6 kids by the time they were 25 and 27. They were together until my granddad died 10 years ago, over 50 years of marriage. My nan has said over and over again it wasn't easy. All their kids were boys so she found it very hard being the only woman in the house, and they weren't very well-off. But their relationship stood through raising 6 amazing men, one of whom is my father, they became grandparents and great-grandparents, and you could see the love they had for each other right up until my granddad died. And you can still see the love my nan has for him now, every year on his birthday, their anniversary.

Sometimes love just lasts and it's the best thing ever to see and experience. But there was no guarantee my grandparents would stay together. There never is a guarantee. My parents divorced after 6 years of marriage. I personally can't imagine them being a couple, they are so different and not right for each other, I'm surprised they lasted so long as a couple. That's just one marriage that lost the love, but that's okay, because there's more than one chance for everybody.

I think I've found the right person with my boyfriend, because I feel complete with him. When we are together, nothing else matters and it's the best thing in the world. We laugh, we explore places, we go out of our comfort zones, we go through the hard times together. That might not last, for whatever reason, but there's every chance that it will last, and that's beautiful. I'd love to marry him one day, and grow into a couple like my grandparents, having a huge family to celebrate decades of marriage and a wonderful life together.
    Wow! Thank you very much for your insightful experience. I am glad to hear that you are experiencing, what it looks like a healthy and loving relationship!

There is one aspect of the marriage that constantly bothers me and is the fact that you never know if your partner is faithful or not. It is one of the main worries that I have when thinking about marrying my partner. So that is why I tend to be in a really long relationship, just so I make sure that something like that would not happen.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wow! Thank you very much for your insightful experience. I am glad to hear that you are experiencing, what it looks like a healthy and loving relationship!

There is one aspect of the marriage that constantly bothers me and is the fact that you never know if your partner is faithful or not. It is one of the main worries that I have when thinking about marrying my partner. So that is why I tend to be in a really long relationship, just so I make sure that something like that would not happen.
    It's called trust. A relationship won't survive without it. If you keep thinking "they could be cheating on me" it will never work. If the person is right for you, you trust them and won't ever doubt them unless they give you reason to doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Most people dont find the right people. Theres like a 50% divorce rate, usually the woman instigates it.

ReputationRep:
    Only it when you are ready
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I got married last year, so obviously I m positive about it i've known my husband for over four years and we're just very comfortable with each other, we've got each other through dropping out of uni and changing careers and many of lifes other challenges so i m certain we'll continue loving each other no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I got married last year, so obviously I m positive about it i've known my husband for over four years and we're just very comfortable with each other, we've got each other through dropping out of uni and changing careers and many of lifes other challenges so i m certain we'll continue loving each other no matter what.
    It makes me rejoice when I hear successful marriage stories. It also gives me more confidence that I can also be part of one, as long as I am a considerate, loving and trustworthy partner. Thank you very much for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    maybe im naive but i really look forward to marriage. i feel like you need to be really serious about the person and be willing to work through anything to stay together before you even consider marriage though. a lot of couples seem to marry too fast while theyre still in the early lovey-dovey phase rather than settled and certain of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryoasuka)
    maybe im naive but i really look forward to marriage. i feel like you need to be really serious about the person and be willing to work through anything to stay together before you even consider marriage though. a lot of couples seem to marry too fast while theyre still in the early lovey-dovey phase rather than settled and certain of things.
    That is so true! Thank you very much for your reply!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It makes me rejoice when I hear successful marriage stories. It also gives me more confidence that I can also be part of one, as long as I am a considerate, loving and trustworthy partner. Thank you very much for your reply!
    trust and being considerate are very important.

ReputationRep:
    It's different for everyone, there are a lot of questions. Why do you want to be married? For yourself to feel secure, for the image, for a religion, for showing your love off to the world? For the wedding dress and the big day?

When you are with someone it may take years to know if you could spend a lifetime with them.

I want to be with my guy for the rest of my life, I don't want to get married because there is no point in our opinion, but we would like a kind of big union party to celebrate our love

I'm skeptical. In an ideal world it would be like a fairy tale romance but the harsh reality is that a lot of people make promises they can't keep. As soon as theres a bit of trouble or one gets a little older or fatter or they get bored thats it, they suddenly forget their vows and start looking elsewhere. I mean there is a reason as to why many marriages end in divorce.

ReputationRep:
    I like the thought of meeting the love of your life and marrying him and staying devoted to each other for ever but that never seems to be the case in marriages anymore.

I'm all for it so long as he is in it for the long run too. I'd give it a go if I ever met 'the one' but I won't hold my breath though.

ReputationRep:
    Trust, love, patience, respect, affection, consideration, happiness, joy, support, compromise, devotion, commitment. All sorts of things really.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.