Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

My name is Simon and I'm 22 years old. I dropped out of high school due to various personal problems I've had in the past. It's been a long time since I've been to school and I want some advice on where do I begin to get started, I will be studying full time.

I want to ask, should I bother going back to where I left (getting high school diploma/GED) or look into Open University because it doesn't have any Admission requirements?

I really want to go to a University (physically) because I get to experience what it's really like. The problem is that I've wasted so many years already and I'm scared if I decide to go for the High school diploma/GED route, when I finish, I won't meet the requirements for the program I want to study, that would completely destroy me and make me feel hopeless.

TL;DR: Is it worth it to potentially use a year to get my High school diploma/GED then apply for a University or just go for the Open University and start studying something without having to waste anymore time?

I want to hear your opinion on what you think of my current situation. Thank you for your time.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Simoncs)
    Hello,

My name is Simon and I'm 22 years old. I dropped out of high school due to various personal problems I've had in the past. It's been a long time since I've been to school and I want some advice on where do I begin to get started, I will be studying full time.

I want to ask, should I bother going back to where I left (getting high school diploma/GED) or look into Open University because it doesn't have any Admission requirements?

I really want to go to a University (physically) because I get to experience what it's really like. The problem is that I've wasted so many years already and I'm scared if I decide to go for the High school diploma/GED route, when I finish, I won't meet the requirements for the program I want to study, that would completely destroy me and make me feel hopeless.

I want to hear your opinion on what you think of my current situation. Thank you for your time.
    Is this US and about US unis? The Open University bit threw me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Is this US and about US unis? The Open University bit threw me.
    I live in Canada. The Open University part is online distance learning, they don't require a high school Diploma to get in. Some people choose it for reasons like me, maybe because it's more flexible, easier pace to learn and allows them to do other things such as work without giving up on their job etc.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Simoncs)
    I live in Canada. The Open University part is online distance learning, they don't require a high school Diploma to get in. Some people choose it for reasons like me, maybe because it's more flexible, easier pace to learn and allows them to do other things such as work without giving up on their job etc.
    Cant offer any advice really as I dont understand your system.

I think I would find a way to get the diploma or look at equivalent methods of entry into a brick uni.

As you want to attend an actual uni and OU is distance learning, then OU seems inappropriate and you need to find out the normal ways in.

In the UK we have Access courses which are aimed at people like you and allow them to study for one year and if the grades are high enough they can apply direct to unis.

Alternatively you can see if the unis have foundation courses, which are prep years for the main degree, but admits someone on lower grades.

You might also want to see if you have a Canadian careers service? They could give you an overview

Just find out how it works then make a plan and do it.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.