Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This sounds like a really stupid question but I have an offer from a university to do medicine, however when I went to the Uni I didn't really like it, it's my only offer so far and I'm still waiting on Liverpool which would have been my first choice -
    my Interview was horrible for that one however

I don't really like the idea of going away so far - 3 hours by train from home, where I'd miss my family, my younger siblings growing up and the city feel of home etc

I'm not sure whether to take the offer or reapply next year. I applied to this uni as I wasn't hopeful to even get an interview anywhere so I didn't put much thought into this one

I'm not sure what to do and have just been trying to focus on my A levels in the timebeing,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K2468)
    Hi,

This sounds like a really stupid question but I have an offer from a university to do medicine, however when I went to the Uni I didn't really like it, it's my only offer so far and I'm still waiting on Liverpool which would have been my first choice -
    my Interview was horrible for that one however

I don't really like the idea of going away so far - 3 hours by train from home, where I'd miss my family, my younger siblings growing up and the city feel of home etc

I'm not sure whether to take the offer or reapply next year. I applied to this uni as I wasn't hopeful to even get an interview anywhere so I didn't put much thought into this one

I'm not sure what to do and have just been trying to focus on my A levels in the timebeing,
    It is a dilemma and I do sympathise with you - it is daunting to have to move far away from familiar surroundings and family and friends.

Unfortunately it is in the nature of medicine and medical training that you will sooner or later be sent quite far away though. Chances are even if you get into your first choice med school and live at home, you'll still end up being sent on distant placements which will practically require you to live out at some point. Of course, I understand that a three hour train journey is certainly an extreme, but the point I'm trying to make is that at some point (placement, FY1, FY2, specialty training) you'll have to live somewhere which you wouldn't willingly move to but which the system has assigned you to.

The fact that you have an offer is a really positive thing and not something all applicants get. Whilst you don't owe anyone anything, it is important to be realistic and realise that by giving up an offer there's no guarantee that you will get one next year so you might end up without a place at all. Personally I wouldn't consider it to be worth the risk.

What didn't you like about the med school when you visited?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    It is a dilemma and I do sympathise with you - it is daunting to have to move far away from familiar surroundings and family and friends.

Unfortunately it is in the nature of medicine and medical training that you will sooner or later be sent quite far away though. Chances are even if you get into your first choice med school and live at home, you'll still end up being sent on distant placements which will practically require you to live out at some point. Of course, I understand that a three hour train journey is certainly an extreme, but the point I'm trying to make is that at some point (placement, FY1, FY2, specialty training) you'll have to live somewhere which you wouldn't willingly move to but which the system has assigned you to.

The fact that you have an offer is a really positive thing and not something all applicants get. Whilst you don't owe anyone anything, it is important to be realistic and realise that by giving up an offer there's no guarantee that you will get one next year so you might end up without a place at all. Personally I wouldn't consider it to be worth the risk.

What didn't you like about the med school when you visited?
    Thanks for the taking some time out to reply, it was just the overall feel of the city, which is smaller than Liverpool and Manchester as well as the 'vibes'. Then again I went to interview during the bad weather and snow two weeks ago to interview so that would have affected my overall outlook. I'm also sure that moving there would mean the end of a one year relationship due to not wanting to do the whole long distance thing. It may Sound insignificant but it has me worried along with all other factors.

ReputationRep:
    Remember, you can always ask to defer your offer a year - this would give you time to get used to the idea of moving away.
    PS. Everyone will feel a bit nervous about 'going to Uni' - you will be surrounded by lots of other people feeling exactly the same way, and once you have been at Uni for a week or so, you'll wonder what you were so worried about, promise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Remember, you can always ask to defer your offer a year - this would give you time to get used to the idea of moving away.
    PS. Everyone will feel a bit nervous about 'going to Uni' - you will be surrounded by lots of other people feeling exactly the same way, and once you have been at Uni for a week or so, you'll wonder what you were so worried about, promise.
    That's a good idea of possibly deferring a year, and you're right, its probably just the nerves all building up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K2468)
    Thanks for the taking some time out to reply, it was just the overall feel of the city, which is smaller than Liverpool and Manchester as well as the 'vibes'. Then again I went to interview during the bad weather and snow two weeks ago to interview so that would have affected my overall outlook. I'm also sure that moving there would mean the end of a one year relationship due to not wanting to do the whole long distance thing. It may Sound insignificant but it has me worried along with all other factors.
    Yes I do understand what you mean - though you might find that if you visit again in less stressful circumstances than an interview during a Siberian storm, you might get a different vibe :p:

Wherever you go to medical school you will almost certainly find friends so it's unlikely you're going to feel very alone for long. Medical schools are sociable places and pre-clinical medicine generally involves whole days spent at uni in lectures, group work, etc so there will be good opportunities to meet people so hopefully you won't feel very homesick at all.

I would personally advise against deferring your offer as I think if you put things off for a year you'll only end up feeling more stressed about the prospect of going and your mind will only give you reasons not to go. From what I've seen, most students on here and irl who are apprehensive about attending a med school which wasn't their first choice end up settling in and having a good time reasonably quickly despite their initial worries
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by K2468)
    ... it was just the overall feel of the city... as well as the 'vibes'.
    Honestly, that is an awful reason and you should attach no weight to it whatsoever. You cannot accurately judge a whole city and university based on one day. Your impressions will be heavily affected by things like stressful situations (check), the few people who you meet who may not be representative whatsoever, and even trivial things like bad weather (again, check).

3 hours is not actually that far - going back for occasional weekends is easily achievable, plus all of the holidays, which are longer at med school. Plus there's this amazing thing called Skype.

ReputationRep:
    And it;'s better to be a boring city with really nice people than in a city with vibes with horrible ones. Once you start studying you will find friends and you will enjoy their company wherever you are

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.