munkysox
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Any revision tips or essay advice? I especially need help with source analysis.
StevetheIcecube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Revision tips:
  • Write up your notes in bullet points from either powerpoint/textbook - basically, whatever you were taught from. This allows you to read the content and write it out, so that's going through it twice
  • Then, read through your notes again, this time underlining all key dates, concepts, and people in different colours. This means you've gone through it a third time and if you come back to your notes again you can immediately see all the things you need
  • Do detailed essay plans for past questions, including ones on the spec before - they're mostly the same
  • Check your plans against old mark schemes, see if there are any things that come up a lot or stuff you don't know
  • Make a timeline of everything that comes up in your notes, preferably on a laptop/pc so you can put it properly in order. This means you get a clear sense of the chronology of everything

Essay advice:
  • Always have an introduction and a conclusion
  • I don't know how long your essays are meant to be or how long you have but for a 45 minute essay you should try and do three medium paragraphs. You can get away with two big ones as long as they're really good
  • Take time to plan before, and take time to check after - particularly check beginnings and endings of paragraphs as well as your introduction as this particularly is where sentence structure can go wrong
  • Do your paragraphs thematically
  • In general essays, this means including both a 'for' and 'against' argument in the same paragraph, but under the same kind of theme
  • In source analysis, this usually means taking key aspects such as origin and language used
  • I don't know what form your source analysis questions take, but one of mine involves comparing two sources and talking about how they can be used together - this is very important for getting a high mark
  • Also in source analysis don't forget to use your own knowledge
  • A good way to get own knowledge in is through introducing the event/theme the sources refer to in your introduction as well as using own knowledge to back up any statement you can about reliability
  • When writing any essay, every time you mention an event, try and shoehorn a date in with it to look more knowledgeable

I hope all this helps! I probably left something out but just ask if you need some more help.
munkysox
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
[QUOTE=StevetheIcecube;76543882]Revision tips:
Thanks so much! This is very thorough and helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.15%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (88)
28.48%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
12.94%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.56%

Watched Threads