Turn on thread page Beta

How to get an A* in history A level? watch

ReputationRep:
    Any revision tips or essay advice? I especially need help with source analysis.

ReputationRep:
    Revision tips:
    • Write up your notes in bullet points from either powerpoint/textbook - basically, whatever you were taught from. This allows you to read the content and write it out, so that's going through it twice
    • Then, read through your notes again, this time underlining all key dates, concepts, and people in different colours. This means you've gone through it a third time and if you come back to your notes again you can immediately see all the things you need
    • Do detailed essay plans for past questions, including ones on the spec before - they're mostly the same
    • Check your plans against old mark schemes, see if there are any things that come up a lot or stuff you don't know
    • Make a timeline of everything that comes up in your notes, preferably on a laptop/pc so you can put it properly in order. This means you get a clear sense of the chronology of everything

Essay advice:
    • Always have an introduction and a conclusion
    • I don't know how long your essays are meant to be or how long you have but for a 45 minute essay you should try and do three medium paragraphs. You can get away with two big ones as long as they're really good
    • Take time to plan before, and take time to check after - particularly check beginnings and endings of paragraphs as well as your introduction as this particularly is where sentence structure can go wrong
    • Do your paragraphs thematically
    • In general essays, this means including both a 'for' and 'against' argument in the same paragraph, but under the same kind of theme
    • In source analysis, this usually means taking key aspects such as origin and language used
    • I don't know what form your source analysis questions take, but one of mine involves comparing two sources and talking about how they can be used together - this is very important for getting a high mark
    • Also in source analysis don't forget to use your own knowledge
    • A good way to get own knowledge in is through introducing the event/theme the sources refer to in your introduction as well as using own knowledge to back up any statement you can about reliability
    • When writing any essay, every time you mention an event, try and shoehorn a date in with it to look more knowledgeable

I hope all this helps! I probably left something out but just ask if you need some more help.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=StevetheIcecube;76543882]Revision tips:
    Thanks so much! This is very thorough and helpful

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.