The Student Room Group

How to know what it is that you actually want to do?

So many people say follow your dreams or do what you want but how does someone know what it is that they want to do?I would be happy doing various things from a language degree to a maths degree to a medicine degree.
That is the million dollar question !!!
Maybe do some research into your jobs, ask you family what they would like to see you as.

For me, I find mathematics and computing interesting, hence I find engineering interesting, so I want to become mechanical engineer, which is the highest paid job of all the jobs l like
Reply 3
You don't. I'm 28, l finished uni 6 years ago and I still don't really know what I want to do. But for a guide, look at things you enjoy, or if there is anything you want to be able to say you have done.
Prospects.ac.uk has a couple of quiz type things which can point you in the direction of careers you may enjoy or be good at.
Being 'happy' to study so many different things sounds a bit like ambivalence to me, are you absolutely sure you want to commit to a degree course right now?

As far as choosing a subject goes (and remembering that any choices you make now aren't necessarily closing your options in the future - you can always change career paths even after you graduate), Here's a few questions to consider:

Which subject(s) did/do you enjoy most in school/college?

Have you ever seen or heard about somebody's job and thought to yourself "Wow I really want to do that!" ? (Maybe reading some job profiles will help: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/home )

Do you have any hobbies which might lean towards a particular type of career/degree? (Sometimes the best career you could choose might be getting paid for doing something that you'd otherwise enjoy in your spare time - for example, someone who enjoys health & fitness might enjoy a career in Physiotherapy)

What are the things in life which make you feel happy about being alive? Is it a hobby? being around people? holidays/events/trips? volunteering and helping people? solving hard problems/puzzles? doing something artistic and creative? Getting involved in business/politics? having lots of money and living a high lifestyle? Even if you couldn't get a career out of it, you might be able to study something related to that.

Has anybody (either someone you know, or on a TV Programme /Film/book) ever inspired you to want to learn more about a subject which you find fascinating? (Not everything has to be about jobs..)

If you really have no preference toward any particular type of career or degree, then consider studying something where there are significant skills shortages and your graduate employment prospects are high.

If you're really stuck in deciding what career to choose, then employability and the chance at earning a high salary is always something you should seriously consider. (Sadly it's not always the most highly skilled in-demand jobs which necessarily make the most money either - sometimes people make a lot of money from being "middlemen" such as recruitment consultants, property agents, etc.)

Also remember that taking on a degree is a big, expensive commitment, and there's really no need to rush into it. Maybe you just need to take a break for a year and get a job, or go travelling, or maybe get a job abroad, etc. Perhaps you could try to find a few different short-term/temporary jobs with the goal of trying a few different things to see what you like (And sometimes it's just as helpful to find out what you don't like..)

Some time away from the education "treadmill" can be very refreshing and help you learn more about yourself - a lot of people rush into higher education without being entirely sure about their course and some of those people later drop out and regret the whole thing; so make sure that whatever you choose, it's something you won't regret being committed to in 2 years time.
Either wait until it becomes clear or choose something you really like. I would recommend listening to Alan Watts - what if money was no object

Quick Reply

Latest