Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My BA course is only 8 students. And they all drive me mad, they are mostly older people (40+). I am 26. We have 3 lectures a week, each 3 hours. One lecture is fine but the other two are the problem. 6 of the people on my course rarely turn up, and when they do they don't listen it seems. So what it means is, the lectures are filled with the lecture repeating everything that he has already said in past lectures, and I don't learn anything new. A huge amount of time is independent learning, and doing work that the lecturer has set out, but nobody does this. I don't care how others do, but it's holding me back and it's driving me mad. I am getting more and more angry at the other people. I feel I could crack and shout at them! How can I deal with this? I'm first year and just hope it will get better but truly I don't think anyone will change. The rate its going they should all fail first year!! Surely uni doesn't let people not do work?? Or is this how it is?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonboredstudent)
    My BA course is only 8 students. And they all drive me mad, they are mostly older people (40+). I am 26. We have 3 lectures a week, each 3 hours. One lecture is fine but the other two are the problem. 6 of the people on my course rarely turn up, and when they do they don't listen it seems. So what it means is, the lectures are filled with the lecture repeating everything that he has already said in past lectures, and I don't learn anything new. A huge amount of time is independent learning, and doing work that the lecturer has set out, but nobody does this. I don't care how others do, but it's holding me back and it's driving me mad. I am getting more and more angry at the other people. I feel I could crack and shout at them! How can I deal with this? I'm first year and just hope it will get better but truly I don't think anyone will change. The rate its going they should all fail first year!! Surely uni doesn't let people not do work?? Or is this how it is?
    universities places the empathise on it being the students responsibility to do the work, so if they fail its their choice. you say one lecture is fine, is that down to that lecturer refusing to repeat themselves? perhaps with the other two you could politely say, i'd like to know what we'll be covering in the future as i m feeling confident with what we've already covered so you can go off and learning new things yourself.

Talk to your lecturers and let them know how you feel. Maybe they'll start moving faster through the lecture material, or just give you topics in advance so you don't feel so held back. Don't snap at your coursemates, what if you end up having to do group projects together? That'll be a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    You need to chill. What other people achieve on their work has nothing to do with you at all, just concentrate on your own progress.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like your course doesn’t have a very high success rate, maybe you’ll be better off transferring to a better university where the course is taught better and has better student engagement?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    your at Winchester University aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Focus on you, not on other people. Sure, it can be annoying if people don't attend, show no enthusiasm, or put no effort in, but don't let it affect the standard of the work that you do. Nobody is going to hold their hand through the work/assignments, so if they aren't prepared to put the effort in, then that's up to them. As long as you know what you need to be doing, don't worry about other people.

Are the lecturers that repeat content doing so for the sake of your slacking peers or is that something they had planned to do anyway? If they are only doing it for the sake of the others, try to have a word with the lecturer and ask if they can pick up the pace, or if you can have extra reading that covers future topics.

ReputationRep:
    Here is what you say to them: "Herlayler Loser!!!!"

ReputationRep:
    Unless its group work I don't see the concern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Unless its group work I don't see the concern
    his/her/their/ze/bes/kukwukkabanga's/de's concern ( did not confirm their gender please bear in mind there 27,683,783,219 genders so i cant type them all you get the point though.) is that (insert appropriate Gender here) are. will not be getting the same standard of education that (insert appropriate gender here) would get at another university.

This does not necessitate that the students whom may or may not identify as members of the race of Hibachi helicopters or other ethnic group are in anyway different to any other racial group any individuals may or may not identify as.

ReputationRep:
    how come only 8
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What course are you doing to only have 8 students? I ant think of any courses here below like 100.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Speak to thohse lecturers and explain that it's interferring with your own learning and ask if there's any way you can work ahead or around it

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure he is at Winchester when I was applying I made a point of visiting a representation of different uni open days.
    Winchester were shockingly bad. Like I think if it had came down to a choice between london met and Winchester I would have probably chosen London Met.

fortunately that did not happen but this so sounds like Winchester.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.