Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have quite powerful gaming PC at home (nothing too high end tho). And I will be moving out to Uni which is about 3 and a half hour away from my home by train and I am planning on coming every weekend home or at least every other weekend. My question is, is it worth to have the PC or should I sell it for a laptop? If I stayed with the PC I would bring it and leave it with me in uni but I would have to leave it for the weekend because its too much hastle, but I wouldn't be able to use it over the weekend. If I have an laptop, I would be able to even use it on the train.

Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michpcx)
    I have quite powerful gaming PC at home (nothing too high end tho). And I will be moving out to Uni which is about 3 and a half hour away from my home by train and I am planning on coming every weekend home or at least every other weekend. My question is, is it worth to have the PC or should I sell it for a laptop? If I stayed with the PC I would bring it and leave it with me in uni but I would have to leave it for the weekend because its too much hastle, but I wouldn't be able to use it over the weekend. If I have an laptop, I would be able to even use it on the train.

Any opinions?
    if it's a self built PC then maybe temporarily downgrade some of your parts so you can get a laptop as well, don't let gaming get in the way of your studies but also don't just have nothing or you'll just get massively bored
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter Westbury)
    if it's a self built PC then maybe temporarily downgrade some of your parts so you can get a laptop as well, don't let gaming get in the way of your studies but also don't just have nothing or you'll just get massively bored
    Yeah, the PC is 100% self build, so I am really proud of it and it would be hard choosing a part to go under the "hammer". Also, I don't game that much, I only play maybe around 3-4 hours weekly if that.

ReputationRep:
    maybe leave the PC at home and play games at the weekend as a treat while you study during the week.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really want to use the laptop on the train? If you're thinking of taking your computer with you to Uni, then you'll have that as well as access to computer labs and the library at university. I assume you've got a smartphone for things like e-mails on-the-go and quickly checking stuff online. To be honest, that's probably all you'll need. (OneDrive, DropBox or Google Drive for sharing files is also handy).

For some reason, people sometimes insist on taking laptops into lectures and lessons with them, which honestly always seemed pointless to me (not to mention the weight of keeping it in your bag, and the risk of damaging it). Your focus during your contact time is usually on the lecturer or whatever exercises you're working on. I personally don't think laptops are all that great as a student unless you really do want to do your work on a train, or maybe outdoors in the summer, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the PC is 100% self build, so I am really proud of it and it would be hard choosing a part to go under the "hammer". Also, I don't game that much, I only play maybe around 3-4 hours weekly if that.
    You can always buy parts back is the main thing I'd say, for convenience there's nothing better than a laptop, but I get there are benefits personally and physically to having a good PC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    maybe leave the PC at home and play games at the weekend as a treat while you study during the week.
    Don't want my parents to think that I am coming only to use my PC

(Original post by winterscoming)
    Do you really want to use the laptop on the train? If you're thinking of taking your computer with you to Uni, then you'll have that as well as access to computer labs and the library at university. I assume you've got a smartphone for things like e-mails on-the-go and quickly checking stuff online. To be honest, that's probably all you'll need. (OneDrive, DropBox or Google Drive for sharing files is also handy).

For some reason, people sometimes insist on taking laptops into lectures and lessons with them, which honestly always seemed pointless to me (not to mention the weight of keeping it in your bag, and the risk of damaging it). Your focus during your contact time is usually on the lecturer or whatever exercises you're working on. I personally don't think laptops are all that great as a student unless you really do want to do your work on a train, or maybe outdoors in the summer, etc.
    Yeah I will definitely not bring it to lectures as there's not point. I will be studing computer science anyway so I will me by the computer on most days anyway. And thats true, I can always find something else to do on the train. Plus I will get way better PC for the price of lower end laptop which is why I am a bit confused on what to do.

You can always buy parts back is the main thing I'd say, for convenience there's nothing better than a laptop, but I get there are benefits personally and physically to having a good PC
    I always prefered PC. You don't have to worry about battery, or damaging it much because you don't really move it much, so I dont know

ReputationRep:
    I always prefered PC. You don't have to worry about battery, or damaging it much because you don't really move it much, so I dont know
    By the sound of it you've already convinced yourself, I'd say bring it with you. It's not like there's a deadline, you can always chnage your kind so just don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    By the sound of it you've already convinced yourself, I'd say bring it with you. It's not like there's a deadline, you can always chnage your kind so just don't worry about it.
    That helps, thank you!

ReputationRep:

Any opinions?
    Another middle ground solution you could consider is converting the PC to an ITX build that's easier to transport. Unless you have any really oversized components all you'd need to buy is a new motherboard and a small case, I use a £40 Silverstone SG13 for my gaming rig and it's about the side of a large shoebox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Another middle ground solution you could consider is converting the PC to an ITX build that's easier to transport. Unless you have any really oversized components all you'd need to buy is a new motherboard and a small case, I use a £40 Silverstone SG13 for my gaming rig and it's about the side of a large shoebox.

That would be a good idea if I didn't had to carry around a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers etc. with me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Laptops are not replacements for desktop systems. Laptops are also pretty poor gaming machines, both budget wise and in terms of the experience.

Having a desktop will make your studies far easier as the large screen and proper keyboard make writing essays and doing research less of a hassle. Equally though, there are benefits to having a laptop. You can take it to classes, or work on group projects, or generally work outside your room when you need a change.

I'm not going to judge why you are going home every weekend but it's going to waste a hell of a lot of your time. Keep in mind that it is recommended that you spend 40 hours on a full time degree and a good chunk of that comes at the weekend when you've got free time. If you are spending 7 hours travelling, plus the weekend at home without your desktop, that's a lot of time you miss out on for getting uni work done. Likewise leaving your desktop at home means you only have access to it at the weekend. You can absolutely get through your degree with just access to a laptop but it's generally going to go better if you have a desktop to work off. Since you mentioned Computer Science, that's the main clincher that you are far better off with a desktop at uni. I worked exclusively off a laptop in my first year for a CS-like degree. It was alright but it's much easier to get things done this year with my desktop.

No matter what you choose though, there are compromises. Honestly speaking the best solution is not to go home so often, most students will live at uni and only go home during holidays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Laptops are not replacements for desktop systems. Laptops are also pretty poor gaming machines, both budget wise and in terms of the experience.

Having a desktop will make your studies far easier as the large screen and proper keyboard make writing essays and doing research less of a hassle. Equally though, there are benefits to having a laptop. You can take it to classes, or work on group projects, or generally work outside your room when you need a change.

I'm not going to judge why you are going home every weekend but it's going to waste a hell of a lot of your time. Keep in mind that it is recommended that you spend 40 hours on a full time degree and a good chunk of that comes at the weekend when you've got free time. If you are spending 7 hours travelling, plus the weekend at home without your desktop, that's a lot of time you miss out on for getting uni work done. Likewise leaving your desktop at home means you only have access to it at the weekend. You can absolutely get through your degree with just access to a laptop but it's generally going to go better if you have a desktop to work off. Since you mentioned Computer Science, that's the main clincher that you are far better off with a desktop at uni. I worked exclusively off a laptop in my first year for a CS-like degree. It was alright but it's much easier to get things done this year with my desktop.

No matter what you choose though, there are compromises. Honestly speaking the best solution is not to go home so often, most students will live at uni and only go home during holidays.
    Wisdom at it's finest. Laptops are never going to match a PC for power, and although they are useful, are not more useful than a PC.

If you really needed a laptop then get a cheap one alongside your PC which is what I did. Laptop comes to uni while my PC is used when I'm at my studio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    Wisdom at it's finest. Laptops are never going to match a PC for power, and although they are useful, are not more useful than a PC.

If you really needed a laptop then get a cheap one alongside your PC which is what I did. Laptop comes to uni while my PC is used when I'm at my studio.
    Thats actually pretty good idea, I could take cheap laptop anywhere. Thanks for the idea!

(Original post by Acsel)

Yeah I do realise It will take so much off my time and it will be expensive, but I have a strict parents which is why. However going home every other week sounds like a not bad idea. Thank you for help!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bio 7)

Ultimately, laptops only excel in one area. Portability. They fall down everywhere else, screen size and often resolution, longevity (good luck upgrading), reliability (parts fail more often and are difficult to replace), the amount of time you can use them and so on. In reality, a laptop is only portable while not plugged in. The moment that battery starts to die, you've got an awful desktop with none of the desktop perks.

Yeah I do realise It will take so much off my time and it will be expensive, but I have a strict parents which is why. However going home every other week sounds like a not bad idea. Thank you for help!
    So are they forcing you to go home weekly then? Probably best to have a discussion with them about this. You are an adult and shouldn't be forced to go home weekly, or even fortnightly, if you don't want to. University is a time for you to move out and be independent so it'll affect your education if your parents are strict and making you go home. If it's within your budget though, I'd recommend going with Bio's idea. Get a super cheap laptop (could even be something awful like a Chromebook/Stream machine) and take that to uni alongside your desktop. You have something to take home but don't miss the desktop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    So are they forcing you to go home weekly then? Probably best to have a discussion with them about this. You are an adult and shouldn't be forced to go home weekly, or even fortnightly, if you don't want to. University is a time for you to move out and be independent so it'll affect your education if your parents are strict and making you go home. If it's within your budget though, I'd recommend going with Bio's idea. Get a super cheap laptop (could even be something awful like a Chromebook/Stream machine) and take that to uni alongside your desktop. You have something to take home but don't miss the desktop.
    They aren't really forcing me, its when I was choosing Uni they were trying to persuade me to stay locally by saying "travelling home will be so expensive every weekend" and they are saying in nearly every conversation how I will be coming on the weekends so But I don't really mind, I can always bring like you said cheap laptop with me and do all the work I will have at home on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Ultimately, laptops only excel in one area. Portability. They fall down everywhere else, screen size and often resolution, longevity (good luck upgrading), reliability (parts fail more often and are difficult to replace), the amount of time you can use them and so on. In reality, a laptop is only portable while not plugged in. The moment that battery starts to die, you've got an awful desktop with none of the desktop perks.

So right about the laptops, I don't know how some people cope with no PC.

As for visiting home, I talk with them a couple times a week but have only been home twice since moving, Sept and Oct. I'm sure your parents will understand you not visiting very two weeks if you are busy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They aren't really forcing me, its when I was choosing Uni they were trying to persuade me to stay locally by saying "travelling home will be so expensive every weekend" and they are saying in nearly every conversation how I will be coming on the weekends so But I don't really mind, I can always bring like you said cheap laptop with me and do all the work I will have at home on it.
    That's unfortunate, I guess they will miss you but at some point they will have to cope with not having you at home. I actually joined a few societies in my first year, which of which was at the weekend. Between uni work, extra curricular stuff and just generally having friends, you'll find a finite amount of time you actually can go home. I'd plan to be at uni as much as possible and work around that when you go home.

(Original post by Bio 7)
    So right about the laptops, I don't know how some people cope with no PC.

As for visiting home, I talk with them a couple times a week but have only been home twice since moving, Sept and Oct. I'm sure your parents will understand you not visiting very two weeks if you are busy.
    I had to cope in my first year, there was no way for me to get my desktop to uni as I didn't have anywhere to park my car. I'd have needed to drive down with my desktop, leave it there, drive the car home and then get a train back to uni. And reverse to get it home again. It was that or a delivery service and I wasn't willing to go that far. If I weren't on an IT heavy course, I imagine I'd cope with the laptop. Most people don't have desktops nowadays so they don't actually have that comparison to make. So many people are used to laptops that they don't know any different.

ReputationRep:
    We'll see how it goes, maybe once they see how much stuff I will be doing, they will easy up a bit. And ouchh, that would definitely be a long journey to get PC in your room. Fortunelly my dad drives so its all good.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.