Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    jw

is it possible for a non-English home student to get the SFE payments of £10k for postgrad loans?

I studied in England for 4yrs, and continued to work here. I've been here now, paying council tax, and train tax (i.e. x10 the cost of a train ticket...for the ticket each day, sometimes the train comes, sometimes it doesn't, depends if the driver decided to show up that day I guess)

Anyway, point is, I've been here now for 4.5yrs, so can I just use an old bank statement to prove residency and use that to claim 'English' status and get £10k for a MSc, instead of the measly £5k in Norn Iron?

jw
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    jw

is it possible for a non-English home student to get the SFE payments of £10k for postgrad loans?

I studied in England for 4yrs, and continued to work here. I've been here now, paying council tax, and train tax (i.e. x10 the cost of a train ticket...for the ticket each day, sometimes the train comes, sometimes it doesn't, depends if the driver decided to show up that day I guess)

Anyway, point is, I've been here now for 4.5yrs, so can I just use an old bank statement to prove residency and use that to claim 'English' status and get £10k for a MSc, instead of the measly £5k in Norn Iron?

jw
    Need to be here at least another year and a half imo ans you need to be ordinarily resident for the three years prior to the course. Your uni years wouldnt count.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    jw

jw
    Hi Et Tu, Brute?, I just need to ask a couple of questions in order to advise you there.
    Are you a Northern Ireland national?
    Did you complete a 4 year degree in England and have been living there for around half a year since?

Thank you,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Et Tu, Brute?, I just need to ask a couple of questions in order to advise you there.
    Are you a Northern Ireland national?
    Did you complete a 4 year degree in England and have been living there for around half a year since?

Thank you,

John.
    I'm an Irish national from northern Ireland. Yes I had a 4 year course in England. been here for almost a year as a non-student (assuming I begin non-student status as soon as the council start asking for money).

ReputationRep:

Playing the system?!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you can (hopefully you can’t) but even if you can, please don’t. I don’t pay taxes for people to do these sorts of things.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do it. It's your money the state has stolen.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.