Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have no idea why I am studying Law? Is there any point! watch

I've always loved it and still love this subject, however reality hits with the fact that most law graduates don't work as lawyers anyways..
    I feel that I have no goal anymore and I'm also studying in a low ranked uni so is there any hope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've always loved it and still love this subject, however reality hits with the fact that most law graduates don't work as lawyers anyways..
    I feel that I have no goal anymore and I'm also studying in a low ranked uni so is there any hope?
    What has the "fact" that most law graduates don't become lawyers got to do with your own career choice?

If you want to be a lawyer, surely this works in your favour by reducing the competion. If you don't, then a law degree - even from a so called low ranked uni - is a valuable door opener these days.

If you love law then you will find your mojo again soon.

ReputationRep:
    How can you not love the law??????

On a serious note, if your motivation is to work as a lawyer, then you shouldn't love the law. You have no reason to love something that every jumped-up social sciences and humanities grad can get the basics of in 9 months of intensive study. Your love should come from the substance of the degree, not whatever career prospects are attached to it.

ReputationRep:
    If you're a halfway decent intellect, attending at a low ranked uni can be beneficial to you. You should be able to excel at that uni, get an exceptionally high grade and that will help significantly with applications to law firms. Further, you might stand out more amongst your peers with your lecturers; they might give you more tailored academic support or assist with law firm apps. All these are good things. Lastly, the name of your uni is not going to prevent you getting a legal job.

Inspiration must come from within, no matter what uni you're at.

ReputationRep:
    There's always hope. A lot of people I've worked with in solicitors firms have gone to 'polytechnics' and become solicitors. If you have a scout on some chambers websites some of the pupil barristers even went to the likes of LJMU, Sheffield Hallam and a few others. (and the bar is meant to be WAY more competitive/harder to get into - 14,500 applications for 224 places this year... you can do the maths).

Yes, it may be significantly harder to get 'top' places i.e. if you're doing commercial at the bar, it would be crazy difficult, but other options are still there. At the end of the day, if you get a good 2.1 or even a first, you'll be worth more than somebody with a low 2.1 from an alright university.
    If you can show your motivation and take opportunities to go alongside it, they'll care more about that than the fact that you got a 'B' at A-Level and had to go to your insurance university.

100% keep at it. Although consider whether you actually want to do law as a job. If you're having these thoughts the worst thing you could do is get yourself in a lot of debt doing the LPC to decide you no longer want to be a solicitor. Maybe undergo some vac schemes and/or mini-pupillages.
    There's grad schemes out there too. I went to university (studying law) with someone who did a grad scheme and now she works in train travel. Sometimes you don't know what you want to do until you take the chance and end up loving it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizolove)
    Maybe undergo some vac schemes and/or mini-pupillages.
    There's no maybe about this. If OP wants to practise law this is an immediate priority.

I have an (I imagine relatively uncontentious) theory that one of the things that stops people at lower ranked unis from making it into practice is that these universities lack the culture of CV building from an early stage. I've come across grads from low ranked unis who have made it all the way through to final year and beyond without taking any vac schemes or minis at all, and/or with no real idea of where they want to be in the profession. This simply does not happen at the other end of the league table. You could not get to second year at a top university without having a reasonable sense of where you might like to be in the industry and the sort of steps you should be taking to get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    There's no maybe about this. If OP wants to practise law this is an immediate priority.

I have an (I imagine relatively uncontentious) theory that one of the things that stops people at lower ranked unis from making it into practice is that these universities lack the culture of CV building from an early stage. I've come across grads from low ranked unis who have made it all the way through to final year and beyond without taking any vac schemes or minis at all, and/or with no real idea of where they want to be in the profession. This simply does not happen at the other end of the league table. You could not get to second year at a top university without having a reasonable sense of where you might like to be in the industry and the sort of steps you should be taking to get there.
    I think sadly that is the education system in general, especially in working class areas. I grew up in a rough part of Wigan and my high school did nothing to help guide or instruct us to look at furthering skills or making smart goals. As a result my first time in further education was a disaster, and it's only now at 28 that I've really 'figured out' what I want and how I can achieve that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.