Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am an international student looking for British institutes for an undergraduate computer science degree. I am particulary interested in icl, but ucl sounds cool as well. I think the deciding factor between these universities is probably the student life.

I'll frankly say, I'm sick and tired of schools telling me what to study. Tired of the armsrace for the ranks in my highschool (japan) and the insane amount of useless subjects i have to take in my senior year like home economics and 10 hours of english writing and reading every week, even though I am a science student. Tired of my algebra class where teachers just explain some dumb crap in class and give tests that require no critical thinking, just regurgitating ellipse formulas and solve matrixes to the end of time and calculate standard deviations till u pass out. I love my ap calculus and mechanics courses with more challenging problems and concepts. I hate this type of school curriculum where they force you to take all these kinds of subjects that I am bored of, which does not require the students to critically think. I want to go to an institutions wherr they promote self learning.
    Have more flexibility yet, be a top tier school. Im looking for unis that have a learning for the sake of learning attitude, rather than learning for the sake of gpas.

Is imperial for me? or does ucl come closer to my ideal uni?

tldr: is imperial college an oompa loompa training center?
    • TSR Community Team

TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.