Turn on thread page Beta

Need a more effective method watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The initial question was to find the equation of the normal to the curve when A is 45°which gives 6y= 4x + 5√2

x = 2Cos(A)
    y = 3Sin(A)
    Cos^2(A) + Sin^2(A) = 1
    x^2 /4 + y^2/9 = 1
    2nd part asked another set of points where the normal and curve meet.
    So i made y subject of formula for both cartesian equation and solved for x and ended up with a very big quadratic eqn which forced me to use the formula. Is there a faster and less time consuming method? ( it took me about 7-8mins to complete it which i guess is a lot for A level exams)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bilbao)
    The initial question was to find the equation of the normal to the curve when A is 45°which gives 6y= 4x + 5√2

x = 2Cos(A)
    y = 3Sin(A)
    Cos^2(A) + Sin^2(A) = 1
    x^2 /4 + y^2/9 = 1

So i made y subject of formula for both cartesian equation and solved for x and ended up with a very big quadratic eqn which forced me to use the formula. Is there a faster and less time consuming method? ( it took me about 7-8mins to complete it which i guess is a lot for A level exams)
    dy/dx=dy/dA*dA/dx= -3/2*cot(A)

Evaluate x, y, and dy/dx at A=45 then just plug em into y-b=m(x-a) [where m is the normal gradient in this case]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    dy/dx=dy/dA*dA/dx= -3/2*cot(A)

Evaluate x, y, and dy/dx at A=45 then just plug em into y-b=m(x-a) [where m is the normal gradient in this case]
    Ah sorry i missed the actual question, i actually did what you wrote above to find the equation of the nornal to the curve. The 2nd part of the question asked to find another point where the normal and curve meet again. And i used the method which i wrote above. Im looking for a more efficient way to find another point other than equating the two cartesian equations above and then solving for x.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bilbao)
    Ah sorry i missed the actual question, i actually did what you wrote above to find the equation of the nornal to the curve. The 2nd part of the question asked to find another point where the normal and curve meet again. And i used the method which i wrote above. Im looking for a more efficient way to find another point other than equating the two cartesian equations above and then solving for x.
    You can sub in x=f(A) and y=g(A) into the line’s equation. Solve for A not equal to 45.
    Not sure whether faster as I cant test it atm, but seems like a nice alternative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    You can sub in x=f(A) and y=g(A) into the line’s equation. Solve for A not equal to 45.
    Not sure whether faster as I cant test it atm, but seems like a nice alternative
    agreed. this is the way i'd do it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.