Can I join the RAF? With laser eye surgery? Watch

Henrymb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey, I’m 15 years old and for as long as I can remember I have always wanted to join the RAF, hopefully as a pilot flying C17s or A400s. I do gliding, and am a member of my local air cadets as well as doing D of E and a sizeable amount of volunteer work. I also regularly shoot L98A2s and L81A2s. I also go to a grammar school and expect high grades at GCSE and A level. Though I’m not trying to boast 😋.

My query comes as I don’t play any team sports, which I read was something they look for, and my vision is slightly worse than 20/20 but not by much. I was wondering if the RAF accepts people with minor laser eye surgery and what makes you stand out from the other people applying, who are in most cases on the same level as me, if not higher. I was also wondering if other RAF jobs, like loaders, are also required to have as good eyesight.
Rick Ape
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Henrymb)
Hey, I’m 15 years old and for as long as I can remember I have always wanted to join the RAF, hopefully as a pilot flying C17s or A400s. I do gliding, and am a member of my local air cadets as well as doing D of E and a sizeable amount of volunteer work. I also regularly shoot L98A2s and L81A2s. I also go to a grammar school and expect high grades at GCSE and A level. Though I’m not trying to boast 😋.

My query comes as I don’t play any team sports, which I read was something they look for, and my vision is slightly worse than 20/20 but not by much. I was wondering if the RAF accepts people with minor laser eye surgery and what makes you stand out from the other people applying, who are in most cases on the same level as me, if not higher. I was also wondering if other RAF jobs, like loaders, are also required to have as good eyesight.
Speak to your local Careers Information Office about what are the minumum medical requirements for each trade as they differ and some accept glasses:

Pilots = eagle. Cook = dead mole LOL

Playing team sports is less important than being a team player which is what they look for - the ATC, DofE and volunteer work are all big pluses in your favour as well as good grades.

Also, I think you are far too young to even consider lazer eye surgery.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (157)
27.3%
No (418)
72.7%

Watched Threads