Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about taking chemistry a level along with maths and physics, but I was wondering:
    - How difficult is it compared to other A Levels?
    - Is it an interesting topic?
    - How similar is it to GCSE chemistry?
    I'd just like to get the general feel of it
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Before I start, let me say all responses you are going to get are going to be subjective.
    One's views on a certain subject will be very different from another's views.

I'll start off by saying I am not a genius, nor am I a Chemistry-whizz, so if you're getting an A* or 8/9 at GCSE then I'd say you've done better than me.

- How difficult is it compared to other A Levels?
    In all honesty, I can only compare it to Physics and will compare to Biology but based on what my friends have said.
    Chemistry is the easiest science.
    Biology has alot of content, but if you remember it then it's all good. Physics has the least content out of the three (no joke, You could cover a year's content in under 7 weeks), but it has a lot of abstract concepts and it all comes down to exam technique.
    Chemistry I find has a bit of a mix of both, but it's mostly just maths and a bit of theory here and there.

It is harder than maths, but not by a huge amount (maybe 6% harder)

- Is it an interesting topic?
    Very interesting, it all makes sense as well.
    Physics is interesting, but half the time you're just left to cry because there's constant that aren't constant and stuff like that.

- How similar is it to GCSE chemistry?
    In all honesty, all they've done in A-level chemistry is just added an extra layer of chemistry on top of what you already know from GCSE.
    If you understood gcse chemistry well, A-level chemistry should not be a problem provided you're putting in the effort.

e.g. You'd give Electron configuration's as 2,8,8 (Argon), but then they add a thin layer on top of what you know and teach you about 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6

Notice how both number add up to 18? It's not that different, just harder.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it’s the hardest science. There isn’t as much content to learn as the reply above stars however it takes a lot of hours to get your head around certain concepts/topics. If you’re willing to put in the hours after school and during frees then you should be good.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    For me, it was the hardest subject, just cause the teacher read out the notes and expected you to go from there.
    I actually found A2 really helped me understand AS better. You really do need to understand how everything works and why.
    A lot of the notes are just bulked out, so narrow it down to key points.
    Practice papers are your best friend - get into the style of what the examiner wants and know the syllabus because it changes.
    Work from the get go - it is difficult compared to GCSE, but A levels are a huge jump up with a lot more information to learn.

I really enjoyed the experiments though, and inorganic chemistry. I had to teach myself the subject, but it is worth putting the work into.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...s%201%20QP.pdf

Question 1d.ii

Someone please help me I have been stuck on it for hours.

Answer:
    FIRST CHECK THE ANSWER ON THE ANSWER LINE
    IF answer = 1.35 (g) award 3 marks
    IF answer = 0.54 (g) award 2 marks (no scale-up)
    IF answer = 0.216 (g) award 2 marks (incorrect scale-up)
    n(compound D) = 1.73/346 = 0.00500 mol
    n(1,3-diaminobenzene) required = 100/40 x 0.005
    = 0.0125 mol
    Molar mass of 1,3-diaminobenzene = 108 (g mol–1)
    AND
    Mass of 1,3-diaminobenzene = (108)(0.0125) = 1.35 g

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.