Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m really, really struggling at uni and everyday life. Throughout my childhood, I was abused extensively and this has seriously impacted me. What’s worse is that I am so so ashamed of what’s not my fault . I’m stuck in a horrible limbo where I am deterring people I meet by my irrational behaviour but do not have the confidence to tell people why I am like this or talk to anyone about it. I have no idea how to combat this.

I cannot put myself in your shoes at all, the only things I can suggest are: getting therapy. They can help you come to terms with your problems. Another option is meditation, you can become at peace with yourself and it can help you let go of the past. Again I’m no expert and can see that those problems can’t magically be wished away, but these are the two options which I feel may help you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

That’s awful, I’m sorry to hear you’ve had to go through that but it’s completely understandable that it is still impacting you today. Have you tried speaking to a university councillor or confide in one of your closer friends at university?

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do is speak to a counsellor.
    I didnt tell my family until last year, I had been through counselling and court by myself.

You need a good support system to get through this.

I know it's incredibly scary because you can never tell how people will react, but you can't control other people - what you can control is getting the help you deserve to overcome this.

Not sure what region you are in, in NI I went to Nexus, SHIP, Niamh Louise.
    I would even contact your GP and they can point you in the right direction, or even contact NAPAC.

If you need to chat or anything, please dont hesitate to message and I will try my best to help, it's a very lonely experience but there is help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyEcliptic)
    The best thing you can do is speak to a counsellor.
    I didnt tell my family until last year, I had been through counselling and court by myself.

You need a good support system to get through this.

I know it's incredibly scary because you can never tell how people will react, but you can't control other people - what you can control is getting the help you deserve to overcome this.

Not sure what region you are in, in NI I went to Nexus, SHIP, Niamh Louise.
    I would even contact your GP and they can point you in the right direction, or even contact NAPAC.

If you need to chat or anything, please dont hesitate to message and I will try my best to help, it's a very lonely experience but there is help
    Thank you so much. I literally have never spoken about it to anyone. The only two people that I have had the courage to talk to about have basically told me to “man up” so that has really deterred me from getting help. On top of that, I get called “weird” a lot by people that don’t know anything of my past and I justfeel so stupid like it’s all my fault it so ****

ReputationRep:
    It's never your fault.
    I found looking back as an adult onto the childhood stuff, it was easy to put the blame on yourself because you adult self is aware of the signs, so you try figuring out how it happened.
    Look at it from a childs point of view - they don't know, they shouldn't know because they shouldnt have been exposed to that sort of stuff.

It takes time to regain the control and to take the power from your abusers.

People can be really ****, not gonna lie, ive been told my a professional it was my fault because I was looking for a father figure. My counsellor was ready to kill her.
    Ive also had people threaten to stop being my friend if I didn't stop self harm.

People just are incredibly ignorant sadly. Unless you've been through it, you really can't empathise.

If you are on Facebook, there are lots of groups (private) for childhood abuse survivors. I've joined a few for that and domestic violence, you don't even have to post but knowing there are others going through similar makes it much easier to come forward.

ReputationRep:
    The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC)
    Call 0808 801 0331*free from all landlines and mobiles
    Monday –*Thursday*10:00-21:00 and*Friday*10:00-18:00

NAPAC provides a national freephone support line for adults who have suffered any type of abuse in childhood.

ReputationRep:
    What you are going through is difficult and it is absolutely normal that you are struggling. Find support, this is going to be a long journey. My heart goes out to you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all so much ❤️❤️❤️

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.