Turn on thread page Beta

Are office hours important? watch

Announcements

This one uni I'm looking at the third year student who was there on the open day said that the teachers were in their offices an hour before to two hours after classes began/ended (classes are from 10-3, teachers in classes or offices from 9-5) This other third year who took the same train back as me said that one time she emailed a teacher with a question at 3am and they replied by 4am.
    With the other uni I went to in the classroom there was this note on a whiteboard by the door that said "OFFICE HOURS: MONDAY - 10-11" and nothing else. A third year student said it takes them time to get back to you sometimes.
    What are the odds the second uni rubbed out the times for the rest of the week and accidentally forgot the heading and Monday (genuine question)?
    How much should I take it into account?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This one uni I'm looking at the third year student who was there on the open day said that the teachers were in their offices an hour before to two hours after classes began/ended (classes are from 10-3, teachers in classes or offices from 9-5) This other third year who took the same train back as me said that one time she emailed a teacher with a question at 3am and they replied by 4am.
    With the other uni I went to in the classroom there was this note on a whiteboard by the door that said "OFFICE HOURS: MONDAY - 10-11" and nothing else. A third year student said it takes them time to get back to you sometimes.
    What are the odds the second uni rubbed out the times for the rest of the week and accidentally forgot the heading and Monday (genuine question)?
    How much should I take it into account?
    Unusual question. Availability of staff is a factor, but I wouldnt be unduly worried by your points.

Lecturers have other things to do, so keeping it at 10-11 may be just for student enquiries and the rest of the day they may wish to do other work such as lecture prep or research. I wouldnt need someone to be at my beck and call, but would be nice to get a response back within 72 hours. Whenever I had an actual issue I just dropped by and had a chat.

ReputationRep:
    Lecturers also have other lectures to teach, seminars, tutorials, their own research to conduct, dissertation students to supervise, coursework to mark, amongst other things, so it's not surprising they aren't available 24/7. Most do reply to emails within a good time frame and are happy to arrange appointments.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.