Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is Queens university of Belfast a decent university for computer science? What are the graduate prospects like here?

ReputationRep:
    So I did my masters in Cyber Security at QUB and moderated on some undergrad modules, just to qualify this a bit.

QUB is seen as a big fish in a small pond. In NI, it has a good reputation for CS in NI. Within Ireland and the UK, I would say it's a fine university for CS, but not great. QUB is part of a small sub group of RG universities that don't require A-Level Maths for CS. This is reflected in their CS degrees as there is not that much maths in them (depending on the modules you pick). Whether this is a plus or a minus depends on you.

Regarding job prospects, QUB is excellent if you a) get a good mark on your degree b) do a decent placement c) are looking for jobs in NI. Graduates who do a placement year and get a 1st are particularly coveted by big tech compaines (namely Citi, IBM, Kainos, Liberty, even Microsoft in Dublin etc...). So there are some pretty good prospects.

In terms of post-grad study if that's what you want to do, research options are fairly limited at QUB in CS. The main focus is on Cyber Security, and to be blunt, the CS degree at QUB doesn't have enough maths in it. So if you haven't done A-Level maths, it will be better if you came in from an Electrical Engineering, Maths or Phyiscs undergrad. I know this may not be what you want but just to let you know about it. In terms of education, often students complain that they had to do a lot by themselves and didn't always have a lot of direction from lecturuers. This seems to be a common theme at RG universities though. Your classmates will be your biggest help for learning, and QUB still tends to attract a lot of sharp students year on year for CS.

NB: Both Ulster and QUB have reported year-on-year declines in the number applicants for CS. The total number of grads has declined by about 10% over the last few years. I'm not sure why this is. What I would say is there is still a big demand for CS grads in NI (and pretty much everywhere). Put another way; the number of opportunities is increasing, but the number of people to avail of these opportunities is decreasing in NI. For someone like you, this is great as it means you have more options when you graduate and more companies will be vying for you when you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    So I did my masters in Cyber Security at QUB and moderated on some undergrad modules, just to qualify this a bit.

QUB is seen as a big fish in a small pond. In NI, it has a good reputation for CS in NI. Within Ireland and the UK, I would say it's a fine university for CS, but not great. QUB is part of a small sub group of RG universities that don't require A-Level Maths for CS. This is reflected in their CS degrees as there is not that much maths in them (depending on the modules you pick). Whether this is a plus or a minus depends on you.

Regarding job prospects, QUB is excellent if you a) get a good mark on your degree b) do a decent placement c) are looking for jobs in NI. Graduates who do a placement year and get a 1st are particularly coveted by big tech compaines (namely Citi, IBM, Kainos, Liberty, even Microsoft in Dublin etc...). So there are some pretty good prospects.

In terms of post-grad study if that's what you want to do, research options are fairly limited at QUB in CS. The main focus is on Cyber Security, and to be blunt, the CS degree at QUB doesn't have enough maths in it. So if you haven't done A-Level maths, it will be better if you came in from an Electrical Engineering, Maths or Phyiscs undergrad. I know this may not be what you want but just to let you know about it. In terms of education, often students complain that they had to do a lot by themselves and didn't always have a lot of direction from lecturuers. This seems to be a common theme at RG universities though. Your classmates will be your biggest help for learning, and QUB still tends to attract a lot of sharp students year on year for CS.

NB: Both Ulster and QUB have reported year-on-year declines in the number applicants for CS. The total number of grads has declined by about 10% over the last few years. I'm not sure why this is. What I would say is there is still a big demand for CS grads in NI (and pretty much everywhere). Put another way; the number of opportunities is increasing, but the number of people to avail of these opportunities is decreasing in NI. For someone like you, this is great as it means you have more options when you graduate and more companies will be vying for you when you graduate.
    Would it be worth going to say University of Manchester over Queens to do computer science ? Like are the graduate prospects going to be that much better at Manchester? Yeah I noticed queens doesn't require maths for CS and I currently do maths and further maths for A level. It would have been nice to keep doing some level of maths at uni.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jjoy443)
    Would it be worth going to say University of Manchester over Queens to do computer science ? Like are the graduate prospects going to be that much better at Manchester? Yeah I noticed queens doesn't require maths for CS and I currently do maths and further maths for A level. It would have been nice to keep doing some level of maths at uni.
    You will definitely do mathematics in a CS degree, even if the course doesn't require A-Level Mathematics as a pre-requisite.

Your prospects at Manchester probably won't trump your prospects at QUB. With CS, it's more what you know/skills rather than where you graduated from.

ReputationRep:
    As Blue_Cow says you will still do Maths at QUB, specifically in the 1st year and in modules about Data/Algorithms and if you take modules like Cyber Security or Machine Learning, for sure you will have Maths. Additionally, if you really love Maths, QUB have a CS + Math degree. What I would say is that other degrees have more of a mathematical tilt for CS, such as Edinburgh.

Honestly, in 90% of tech roles you won't need that much math on a day-to-day basis. Where having a strong understanding of computational maths will for sure be needed is if you go in to a research role or do a PhD.

I think QUB will give you a solid foundation in CS, and if you are from NI for sure QUB is a good choice as it's going to save you thousands in tuition fees vs going to Manchester (although by all accounts Manchester is an excellent uni). It really depends what your goals are post uni.

ReputationRep:
    As Blue_Cow says you will still do Maths at QUB, specifically in the 1st year and in modules about Data/Algorithms and if you take modules like Cyber Security or Machine Learning, for sure you will have Maths. Additionally, if you really love Maths, QUB have a CS + Math degree. What I would say is that other degrees have more of a mathematical tilt for CS, such as Edinburgh.

Honestly, in 90% of tech roles you won't need that much math on a day-to-day basis. Where having a strong understanding of computational maths will for sure be needed is if you go in to a research role or do a PhD.

I think QUB will give you a solid foundation in CS, and if you are from NI for sure QUB is a good choice as it's going to save you thousands in tuition fees vs going to Manchester (although by all accounts Manchester is an excellent uni). It really depends what your goals are post uni.
    I have an interest in AI so does Queens cover much of that stuff ?

ReputationRep:
    I have an interest in AI so does Queens cover much of that stuff ?
    To be candid and in a word: no. The AI/ML capability is currently being built up in QUB and honestly the people there running the AI and ML haven't really much in depth experience with it. There hasn't been any real work of note EEECS @ QUB has produced in this area. They are desperately trying to build it up, but honestly it isn't an academic strength of the department.

If you want to look at AI/ML (aside from the popular places like Oxbridge and Imperial), have a look at Edinburgh, Warwick and Southampton. They all have much stronger research capabilities and pedigree for AI/ML compared to QUB.

ReputationRep:
    To be candid and in a word: no. The AI/ML capability is currently being built up in QUB and honestly the people there running the AI and ML haven't really much in depth experience with it. There hasn't been any real work of note EEECS @ QUB has produced in this area. They are desperately trying to build it up, but honestly it isn't an academic strength of the department.

If you want to look at AI/ML (aside from the popular places like Oxbridge and Imperial), have a look at Edinburgh, Warwick and Southampton. They all have much stronger research capabilities and pedigree for AI/ML compared to QUB.
    I have offers from Queens , Southampton and Manchester. I am really stuck on choosing between Queens and Manchester. Does Queens have many links with companies outside NI?

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from Queens , Southampton and Manchester. I am really stuck on choosing between Queens and Manchester. Does Queens have many links with companies outside NI?
    The biggest company is probably Microsoft in Dublin, which in fairness is the European HQ for Microsoft in Europe (and they just opened this place which is running https://www.rte.ie/news/business/tec...-leopardstown/). The majority of placements are in NI though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.