ReputationRep:
    out of interest

ReputationRep:
    Most people will get a graduate job, menial job or do post grad
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajohns)
    out of interest
    I went and travelled around Australia for 9 months, then came back and worked at PGL as an abseiling instructor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I went and travelled around Australia for 9 months, then came back and worked at PGL as an abseiling instructor.
    What do you do now

ReputationRep:
    My friend currently works as a retail assistant (graduated 7 months ago with a masters of science) and is still searching for a graduate job in his related field - it’s a struggle

ReputationRep:
    What do you do now
    Work in IT

ReputationRep:
    I had a month out, then decided I wanted to go into speech therapy so spent pretty much up until now trying to secure a place at one of the eight institutions that run the MSc.

It'll be fun to get another taste of uni, but this course is much more intense than my BA so I'm saving up by working as a lifeguard til then.

(Original post by Lily048)
    My friend currently works as a retail assistant (graduated 7 months ago with a masters of science) and is still searching for a graduate job in his related field - it’s a struggle
    may i ask what field he's interested in and what kind of science degree he has? curious because im thinking of studying Natsci at uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geidiprimes)
    may i ask what field he's interested in and what kind of science degree he has? curious because im thinking of studying Natsci at uni!
    Chemistry Masters - he’s applied at pharmaceutical companies, research-based companies, consultancy firms, laboratory work, etc.

ReputationRep:
    A masters.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Got a full time job who promised to make me permanent after probation, made them aware from day one I had a planned holiday and they insisted it wouldn't be an issue. They lied. Had to pull out of the inter-railing trip i'd spent a year planning and saving up for, because I didn't want to risk running out of money and not being able to pay my rent.

More insecure temping and pretending I was still a student (living with my friends who were still students) before finally getting my first "proper" job in January. Then a final goodbye to all my friends who finished their degrees before getting my own place to live.

In hindsight I learned some important lessons about adult life from that year. 1 - never trust recruitment agencies and 2 - learn to stick to a budget so you never run out of money again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Got a full time job who promised to make me permanent after probation, made them aware from day one I had a planned holiday and they insisted it wouldn't be an issue. They lied. Had to pull out of the inter-railing trip i'd spent a year planning and saving up for, because I didn't want to risk running out of money and not being able to pay my rent.

More insecure temping and pretending I was still a student (living with my friends who were still students) before finally getting my first "proper" job in January. Then a final goodbye to all my friends who finished their degrees before getting my own place to live.

In hindsight I learned some important lessons about adult life from that year. 1 - never trust recruitment agencies and 2 - learn to stick to a budget so you never run out of money again.
    Preach! I learned that bit in bold the hard way this year too, the amount of times they have called me up saying we'll set you up for X job and then they never do it and still call me again forgetting they called me before. I hate them with a passion now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by trapking)
    Preach! I learned that bit in bold the hard way this year too, the amount of times they have called me up saying we'll set you up for X job and then they never do it and still call me again forgetting they called me before. I hate them with a passion now.
    Half the "jobs" they advertise don't exist, it's just a front to get your details.

Some recruiters are very good but others? Awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Half the "jobs" they advertise don't exist, it's just a front to get your details.

Some recruiters are very good but others? Awful.
    I've only ever had 1 good experience with 1 (my first one actually) which ended up in a graduate offer. She was very professional from start to finish.

The rest have been beyond awful, they are literally a waste of my time. One guy made it sound like I was exactly what X company was looking for and even had me write a personalised cover letter and everything; he then said he would come back to me after few days. Surprise surprise he never did neither did he email me.

Another agent spoke to me on the phone and said he would email me the job details after our phone call and pass my details to the company. Once again he never did then he called me 2 days later however I recognised his voice (and the agency name) and said "You already called me about this job before and I told you to go ahead" and his reply was "Oh sorry I lost your details on file".... blah blah all a bunch of B.S. From that day on-wards I was pissed next time I'm gonna be rude as hell idec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

ah yeah i dabbled with recruitment agencies hays were pretty good but other ones just seem to forget about me but tbf am its cos am just one of the hundreds of entry levels ppl

ReputationRep:
    I graduated on November last year although I was a mature student(19plus when i started my degree). Luckily for me I was already working in IT from the age of 18 so I just needed the degree to be added to my cv and for more money when i ask for progression. After working in IT for 4 nearly 5 years(I am 23 now turning 24 this year). I feel like I am too nice and people take me for granted. I am really good at my job but its like no one wants me to progress they just want to keep in the same role 1st line support and I left my other company for that coz I was with them for 2 years and half and they never talked to me about progression and when i did they would say they will get back to me but i see my other colleagues moving up after just 6 months or less and they just started out and am like wtf? I know each client and their environment at the back of my mind and in my sleep. Even the client always leave positive reviews about me but its like anywhere I go, no one wants me to progress and they taking the liberty. I work so hard. But I guess this is what happens as a female in the IT/Computing industry, the ****ing MSPs dont want to progress anyone. I left that company and I am not in this other company for 1 year and 3 months even though I had applied for 2nd line position there i came the first week and it was 1st line.I stayed because I had personal issues at home and I had just moved out. I spoke to the manager who had interviewed me and he said apparently I was not technical enough and I was like bull ****. I was doing the same thing the 2nd liners were doing even more. I was even showing the 2nd liners how to fix some things.

Anyways am still here but the good thing is, one of the managers who i used to sit next to(before they sacked her because she was too good and hated people that were lazy and lied about sickness and etc and some of the staff felt threathened by her) she was the one who fought for me to get to where I am today. I am an onsite engineer at one of our clients Head Office and I couldnt be happier. When she was fighting for me, all the other managers where saying noo she we dont want to send her and she said you dont know her, she sits next to me and i see how good she is and now 9 months later, they all want to talk to me and are all smiling and asking me to bring them chocolate but I call their BS.

I know its off topic but lets just say just like other people on here, a lot of companies promise you things during the interview stage but never actually meet their promises. So whenever a company says this, just take it with a pinch of salt and also do all your reviews beforehand. There is this website called Glassdoor where you can search for a company and you will see all the reviews from previous staff there and I wished I had done that coz my current msp has loads of issues and they love to sack people. I wish i had done my research before hand but at the same time, if it wasnt for my lovely manager who got sacked, I wouldnt be where I am today.

But yes I am planning on moving on to another company but not an MSP. Stay away from those lot!! The pay is **** and progression is tough.

ReputationRep:
    what maniac moved this into post grad applications
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    out of interest
    Was fortunate to a fixed-term part-time job that was available (not related to my field of study at all); it was important as it gave me a monthly supply of money and , more importantly, time to look for a new job which was related to my field. I got an offer and at the end of my fixed-term role, I left.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.