Turn on thread page Beta

is he protective or am i just overthinking watch

okay so theres some guy i somehow managed to accidentally start liking, what is funny is that he is the opposite of what i would normally deem attractive - arrogant, careless, egotistic, selfish, EXTREMELY judgemental, and on top of that he really gets an ego boost out of "average *****es chasing after" him.

why do i like him?
    well yeah i ask myself that too sometimes, I am a very observant person, and don`t enjoy judging people - and at first i absolutely despised him for these reasons. But as I spent more time around him, I realised we have a very similar sense of humour, work ethic, and pretty much the same outlooks on life (bar for the extreme judgement) along with other things. As I am observant, I notice a lot of details in people`s personalities, and with this guy, I like all the good things about him, his confidence, his way of thinking, his drive and what he likes doing, and why he likes doing those things. There`s something about how he bluntly says certain things, openly and honestly, which gets me. I got to know him for him, rather than for the selfish and arrogant guy he comes across as. And I liked how we vibed.

Now to keep this short (lol its already half a page), I just want to know how to get him to trust me and let his guard down with me a little. He is the sort of person who shows interest in me and then goes ahead and flirts with other girls in front of me. But the thing is, he doesnt do it for the sake of flirting, he does it because I am there and wants to make me feel jealous. I didn`t expect this to make me feel uncomfortable since we aren`t dating or even "talking", but when he did it I felt a bit odd.

I`m not normally the jealous type, and even in this case, logically, there is nothing i`m supposed to be jealous about, yet I can`t help but feel a little bit betrayed. If a guy tries to flirt with me in front of him, or even just be friendly with me, I feel him tense up and try to draw up bad points about the other guy, or turn it into a making-fun-of-you-for-laughs facade when in reality he is just trying to get out of the danger zone. It`s really tiring and I wish he would just realise that I barely fall for anyone, and that he can trust me that I honestly like him and love spending time around him, and he doesnt have to be on his guard all the time.

oh, also, confrontation is out of the picture. there is no way i would tell him i like him because he WILL 100% not show anymore interest and start thinking of me as one of those other ego boosting girls who go in his little black book. Why am I any different? I remember to not be so harsh on myself, I have always been an over achiever, and honestly believe I have charm and character (which vibes well with his) - and I hope he can see me for beyond my looks.
    we are currently at this stage where he seems to be able to message me casually, but doesnt seem to budge past that stage. Although I am certain he feels *something* for me, he is not asking me out or even asking for my number, in fear of hurting his ego.

okay if youve gotten this far in reading, thank you, and just to put it out there, im not strictly looking for solutions and answers, but i could do with some opinions, and to get it out off my chest lol
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    okay so theres some guy i somehow managed to accidentally start liking, what is funny is that he is the opposite of what i would normally deem attractive - arrogant, careless, egotistic, selfish, EXTREMELY judgemental, and on top of that he really gets an ego boost out of "average *****es chasing after" him.

why do i like him?
    well yeah i ask myself that too sometimes, I am a very observant person, and don`t enjoy judging people - and at first i absolutely despised him for these reasons. But as I spent more time around him, I realised we have a very similar sense of humour, work ethic, and pretty much the same outlooks on life (bar for the extreme judgement) along with other things. As I am observant, I notice a lot of details in people`s personalities, and with this guy, I like all the good things about him, his confidence, his way of thinking, his drive and what he likes doing, and why he likes doing those things. There`s something about how he bluntly says certain things, openly and honestly, which gets me. I got to know him for him, rather than for the selfish and arrogant guy he comes across as. And I liked how we vibed.

Now to keep this short (lol its already half a page), I just want to know how to get him to trust me and let his guard down with me a little. He is the sort of person who shows interest in me and then goes ahead and flirts with other girls in front of me. But the thing is, he doesnt do it for the sake of flirting, he does it because I am there and wants to make me feel jealous. I didn`t expect this to make me feel uncomfortable since we aren`t dating or even "talking", but when he did it I felt a bit odd.

I`m not normally the jealous type, and even in this case, logically, there is nothing i`m supposed to be jealous about, yet I can`t help but feel a little bit betrayed. If a guy tries to flirt with me in front of him, or even just be friendly with me, I feel him tense up and try to draw up bad points about the other guy, or turn it into a making-fun-of-you-for-laughs facade when in reality he is just trying to get out of the danger zone. It`s really tiring and I wish he would just realise that I barely fall for anyone, and that he can trust me that I honestly like him and love spending time around him, and he doesnt have to be on his guard all the time.

oh, also, confrontation is out of the picture. there is no way i would tell him i like him because he WILL 100% not show anymore interest and start thinking of me as one of those other ego boosting girls who go in his little black book. Why am I any different? I remember to not be so harsh on myself, I have always been an over achiever, and honestly believe I have charm and character (which vibes well with his) - and I hope he can see me for beyond my looks.
    we are currently at this stage where he seems to be able to message me casually, but doesnt seem to budge past that stage. Although I am certain he feels *something* for me, he is not asking me out or even asking for my number, in fear of hurting his ego.

okay if youve gotten this far in reading, thank you, and just to put it out there, im not strictly looking for solutions and answers, but i could do with some opinions, and to get it out off my chest lol
    Overthinking it. If you want to find out then talk to him and suggest a date. he might be scared, inexperienced or he might not be interested. The other side of protective is possessive and it is not a good look.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.