Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm trying to practise C2 logs as they are my weak point but its quite frustrating as I have a question that doesn't stick to the rules:

A car was purchased for £18 000 on 1st January.
    On 1st January each following year, the value of the car is 80% of its value on 1st January in the
    previous year.

The value of the car falls below £1000 for the first time n years after it was purchased.
    (b) Find the value of n.

To solve, they put ar^n but surely its meant to be ar^n-1???

I also find it confusing because whenever I'm working out a question like this, I always get the no. of years at the end wrong. Sometimes they use n and sometimes n-1

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djels013.211)
    Hi, I'm trying to practise C2 logs as they are my weak point but its quite frustrating as I have a question that doesn't stick to the rules:

A car was purchased for £18 000 on 1st January.
    On 1st January each following year, the value of the car is 80% of its value on 1st January in the
    previous year.

The value of the car falls below £1000 for the first time n years after it was purchased.
    (b) Find the value of n.

To solve, they put ar^n but surely its meant to be ar^n-1???

I also find it confusing because whenever I'm working out a question like this, I always get the no. of years at the end wrong. Sometimes they use n and sometimes n-1

Thank you for your help!
    It's usually possible to clarify this kind of situation by writing out the first few terms of the sequence, taking careful note of how the question is worded. In this case,

After 0 years, value = a
    After 1 year, value = ar
    After 2 years, value = ar^2
    therefore
    After n years, value = ar^n

A similar problem can come up in other questions that refer to calendar years, e.g.

n = 1, Y = 2013
    n = 2, Y = 2014
    n = 3, Y = 2015 etc

In such cases, I find that establishing a mathematical relationship between n and Y, after writing out the first few terms of the sequence, can help to avoid year confusion. In this case,

Y = n + 2012 and n = Y - 2012

Then, if you derive an answer of say n = 11, you can quickly determine that the corresponding year Y = 11 + 2012 = 2023.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.