Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading pharmaceutical science and enjoy most of the course. However I seem to be struggling with the microbiology module. There is far less real science, and huge amounts of rote learning, memorizing in detail volumes of text.

In particular, not having the benefit of a decent secondary education, were I would be expected to study Latin, I really struggle with binomial nomenclature learning the Latin names of hundreds of micro-organism species, and being able to spell them with high accuracy.

Any hints, tips or advice?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 303Pharma)
    I'm currently reading pharmaceutical science and enjoy most of the course. However I seem to be struggling with the microbiology module. There is far less real science, and huge amounts of rote learning, memorizing in detail volumes of text.

In particular, not having the benefit of a decent secondary education, were I would be expected to study Latin, I really struggle with binomial nomenclature learning the Latin names of hundreds of micro-organism species, and being able to spell them with high accuracy.

Any hints, tips or advice?
    I think the only way will be lots of rote learning and repetition. I would set yourself a target of learning maybe 10 species a week- learn them like you learned your spellings in primary school- so lots of copying out and look, cover, write, check, and then at the end of the week test yourself. Every few weeks test all the ones you have already learned too.

It's not exciting or interesting, but I think it's probably the only way. Can you target species that come up frequently first?

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest, most people haven't studied Latin in depth. All science is full of jargon, and the more you're exposed to it, the easier it becomes. Unfortunately I don't think there's much of a shortcut :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 25, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.