Turn on thread page Beta

Need advice on how to apply for course with a DBS check watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So im in a bit of a predicament, I've managed to secure a voluntary placement at a primary school in a few weeks, but they've asked me to get my DBS check done before I start.

As far as I'm aware I cant do it myself, I've asked the school if they could do it and I would cover the cost, but they politely declined, I also asked the uni I graduated from, and they also said no, as I'm not a student.

Need help, how do I get a DBS check done myself???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amramr1234)
    Hi guys,

So im in a bit of a predicament, I've managed to secure a voluntary placement at a primary school in a few weeks, but they've asked me to get my DBS check done before I start.

As far as I'm aware I cant do it myself, I've asked the school if they could do it and I would cover the cost, but they politely declined, I also asked the uni I graduated from, and they also said no, as I'm not a student.

Need help, how do I get a DBS check done myself???
    Link - https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record

Request a basic DBS check

Apply for a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to get a copy of your criminal record. This is called ‘basic disclosure’. It’s available for people living or working in England and Wales.

There’s a different way to apply if you live or are applying for a job in Northern Ireland or Scotland.

The check will only show convictions that aren’t ‘spent’, for example some types of caution will disappear after 3 months.

It costs £25. You must be 16 or over to make the request.

It usually takes up to 14 days for you to receive your certificate.

The service is available from 8am to 11:30pm.

What you’ll need To apply, you’ll need:

all your addresses for the last 5 years and the dates you lived there

your National Insurance number

a debit or credit card

proof of your identity, for example a passport, valid driving licence or birth certificate (if you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before)

If you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before it takes about 15 minutes to get set up. You can then use it to access other government services securely.

ReputationRep:
    I need the enhanced DBS check, that can't be done by myself, needs to be from an organisation as I understand?

(Original post by 303Pharma)
    Link - [/u][/i][/b]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amramr1234)
    I need the enhanced DBS check, that can't be done by myself, needs to be from an organisation as I understand?
    Anything involving the UK government, best place to start is WWW.GOV.UK. From the above link...

Before you start

Make sure a basic DBS check is the correct one for you.

For certain roles, your employer may need to apply for a higher level of criminal record check.

Use the tool to see if you need a basic DBS check or ask your employer if you’re not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 303Pharma)
    Anything involving the UK government, best place to start is WWW.GOV.UK. From the above link...
    Yeah Ive searched around but cannot find an answer,

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.