Turn on thread page Beta

Will I be marked down for being under the word count? watch

ReputationRep:
    A few weeks ago I handed in potentially my worst piece of coursework ever. The word count was only 2000 words and I finished at 1630. I had no knowledge on the topic whatsoever. I would keep thinking about the coursework to the point where I was just too stressed and frustrated. I am angry with myself that it got that bad and I handed it in with that word count. I hope my tutor doesn't think I was being lazy I generally knew nothing about the topic and struggled. I checked my university website and looked at word counts and it only had marking downs for if you went over the word count. I am not sure if I will be marked down because of being under. If I get marked down because of the word count I know that I will have failed the piece.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ChocOrange98)
    A few weeks ago I handed in potentially my worst piece of coursework ever. The word count was only 2000 words and I finished at 1630. I had no knowledge on the topic whatsoever. I would keep thinking about the coursework to the point where I was just too stressed and frustrated. I am angry with myself that it got that bad and I handed it in with that word count. I hope my tutor doesn't think I was being lazy I generally knew nothing about the topic and struggled. I checked my university website and looked at word counts and it only had marking downs for if you went over the word count. I am not sure if I will be marked down because of being under. If I get marked down because of the word count I know that I will have failed the piece.
    Unless it says so on your module guide then it's unlikely you will. You could have filled up the remaining 300 words with something completely inaccurate and that could have worked against you. Quality is more important than quantity.

ReputationRep:
    Below word count = shoddy work. In fact, it can indicate that you're incredibly fluid, avoid tautologies and get to the point.

If your work is shoddy, it is because it is shoddy. Not because you're below the word count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocOrange98)
    At my university, we have a +/-10% rule, meaning that there are marking penalties if you are 10% under or over the word limit. If I had a 2000 word assignment, the bare minimum word count expected would be 1800. You are under the minimum, but that all depends on whether your university has the same system as mine.

ReputationRep:
    You can be sometimes, but I think it's more common to just be penalised for going severely over. Either way, the penalties are usually pretty small.

10% max I'd say. But sometimes it's just 10% of one marking criteria, and there might be 4 or 5, so it winds up being minimal.

I've intentionally gone over the word limit a number of times when I've felt the extra work adds quality. I got an 82% on a piece recently despite going 300 words over the 'strict' 1000 word limit. The quality mark, which I feel the extra work bumped up, more than cancelled out the penalties.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.