Turn on thread page Beta

Previous Further Maths GCSE Knowledge Needed? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    I think the OP plans to start learning a bit of A Level in the summer to get a head start which sounds like a good plan to me.
    I plan to learn as much content as possible so when we go back to school I understand what is going on in lessons so I can use this opportunity to work on even harder aspects of the current topic we are learning.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    I've never had one bored student - there is always new things they can explore which are not A level.
    I’m mostly in agreement with you and I will suggest e.g. UKMT before A Level. But I don’t see why A Level content has to be untouchable before a student gets to 17 years old. The structure of GCSE/A Level between Y10 and Y13 works well for most students but there will always be some that are held back by it. If a student is finding GCSE extremely easy and have a passion for maths then I would be happy for them to look ahead - you don’t even have to call it “A Level”.

Taking the exams early is a different thing and not always the best thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Furthermaths is basically C1 and some C2 algebra I think....
    It's not difficult, you should be fine without it cos you will learn it in A-Levels anywho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    It's not difficult, you should be fine without it cos you will learn it in A-Levels anywho
    Ok thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y11_Maths)
    Ok thank you
    I'm doing it rn... I can send you a document about what it entails if you want

I'm in year 11 too btw

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it rn... I can send you a document about what it entails if you want

I'm in year 11 too btw
    Of course!

ReputationRep:
    Of course!
    http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/student...eo-guides.html

You can see the topics for the AQA one in the link

ReputationRep:

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you
    Yeah, I'm doing GCSE Further Maths too, and choosing Maths and Further Maths in my A-Levels. I'm in Year 11. It's actually really easy if you are confident with the normal GCSE. I've had two lessons of Further Maths, and already nailed down 90% of the spec, as it's so similar, just a few extra things to learn. It's quite manageable

ReputationRep:

I feel like I'm reading the spec for AS maths when reading through that, there's definitely a big overlap between GCSE further maths and AS (normal) maths. Things that strike me as odd are: it's missing integration and it has matrices which is an A Level further maths topic (and it's the only one on there).

So to reiterate what others have said for OP, nearly none of GCSE further maths will directly help with A Level further maths, maybe for AS maths but even then, I think you'll probably pick it up fast enough to not need this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I hate maths)
    I feel like I'm reading the spec for AS maths when reading through that, there's definitely a big overlap between GCSE further maths and AS (normal) maths. Things that strike me as odd are: it's missing integration and it has matrices which is an A Level further maths topic (and the only one on there).

So to reiterate what others have said for OP, nearly none of GCSE further maths will directly help with A Level further maths, maybe for AS maths but even then, I think you'll probably pick it up fast enough to not need this.
    Yeah you are right... weirdly integration is not there even though it is easy and legit the opposite of differentiation

Matrix questions are very easy though, nothing tooooo difficult in the exams

ReputationRep:
    Ok I will ask, thanks
    If you are going to buy A level Maths/Further Maths books, I would personally buy the CGP books. These would act like back-up revision books.

Your normal revision book would obviously be one which your teacher will recommend.

If you don't like CGP books, then I personally rcommend these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Level-M...a+hodder+maths

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Level-M...6CFPR8CXCZ9W6Z

However they are bloody expensive. The good thing about thse books is that they have tonnes of questions for you to answer and it explains stuff pretty well.

ALSO, at this stage I wouldn't even worry about further maths A level if I where you. I completed most of A level maths (as we do A level maths in the first year) and only now have I started to think about the topics that I will cover in further maths.

If you want a head start in A level maths by doing some stuff in GCSE further maths, then I would recommend this book as a I used it myself:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-GCSE-Ma...her+maths+gcse

ReputationRep:
    No, last I looked [we don't teach it] it had some topics like Matrices in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    I’m mostly in agreement with you and I will suggest e.g. UKMT before A Level. But I don’t see why A Level content has to be untouchable before a student gets to 17 years old. The structure of GCSE/A Level between Y10 and Y13 works well for most students but there will always be some that are held back by it. If a student is finding GCSE extremely easy and have a passion for maths then I would be happy for them to look ahead - you don’t even have to call it “A Level”.

Taking the exams early is a different thing and not always the best thing to do.
    When you teach GCSE you are 'looking over the wall' to see where this might lead in the Sixth Form - nothing formal though. I really don't think there is any need to look at an A level textbook before the Sixth Form. I've taught many able mathematicians and none of them have regretted waiting ... so much good Maths that is not met at school.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 12, 2018

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.